Speed Demon

Default Black CB antenna?

Does anyone know of a decent CB antenna that's already flat black? I prefer a steel whip rather than fiberglass (less wind resistance), but might consider a glass one if it's very good. I also thought about painting my existing antenna. Anyone know if painting a steel one would hurt reception? Getting the paint to stay on might be another issue.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Black CB antenna?

Quote Originally Posted by o2bad455
    Does anyone know of a decent CB antenna that's already flat black? I prefer a steel whip rather than fiberglass (less wind resistance), but might consider a glass one if it's very good. I also thought about painting my existing antenna. Anyone know if painting a steel one would hurt reception? Getting the paint to stay on might be another issue.
    Why do you need to paint a simple CB antenna :?: :shock: antenna is just an antenna no matter its color, silver, black, fiberglass, etc.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by RW'07
    Why do you need to paint a simple CB antenna :?: :shock: antenna is just an antenna no matter its color, silver, black, fiberglass, etc.
    The idea is to reduce laser reflection. I understand that anything shiny is usually bad. I think Veil guy posted that a AM/FM antenna produced a laser reflection hot spot. I assume that antenna must have been a shiny silver one.

Radar Fanatic

A small antenna whip is not gonna do anythign with laser. In the case of the veil guy he had a big antenna on the front of his car. And they where trying to get PT and they found that aming at the antenna helped to get PT. You normal LEO would never go this far and would never have the time to.
    If you really care i'm sure you could paint it with black conducting paint.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by carter840
    Thanks for the info. Would non-conductive paint hurt CB range? Any idea which kinds of paint are conductive?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by o2bad455
    Quote Originally Posted by carter840
    Thanks for the info. Would non-conductive paint hurt CB range? Any idea which kinds of paint are conductive?
    I don't know the answer to either of those questions but i assume range would be the same. About finding the paint i don't know. I used to fence and people used to paint the bell (guard) of their weapons with white conductive paint. I assume a balck conductive paint also exists.

Newcomer

Not sure I've seen too many flat black antenna's (replacement metal shaft type), but Shakespeare used to make a stubby (4 ft Black Fiberglass one) - but I dont see one in their current line up.

You could look at these (Valor and Everhardt antenna's):

http://www.buyreliant.com/cbantenna/fiberglass.htm

Lead Foot