Professional

Default Is this a good scanner for the price?

Is this scanner any good? Uniden 800 MHz Mobile Scanner, BC350C

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A3947%3A4510

I need a scanner that will look good in my small car. Also one that doesnt cost that much.

Speed Demon

Does that scanner trunk track? Most agencies use EDACs or MOT trunking and that "is where the action is"! Check out Unidens website for a model you might enjoy and download the manuals to get an idea of capablilities. I like the bc246t for analog trunking and the Radio Shack Pro-96 for digital trunking. Both have signal stalking capabilities and can be programmed via computer cable and software. Check out the Radio Reference homepage for frequencies of interest in your area.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by vw242
    Does that scanner trunk track? Most agencies use EDACs or MOT trunking and that "is where the action is"! Check out Unidens website for a model you might enjoy and download the manuals to get an idea of capablilities. I like the bc246t for analog trunking and the Radio Shack Pro-96 for digital trunking. Both have signal stalking capabilities and can be programmed via computer cable and software. Check out the Radio Reference homepage for frequencies of interest in your area.
    Do you have a link where I can read about the Pro-96 signal stalking capabilities? What is the feature called? For Uniden it is "Close Call."

GTO_04

Speed Demon

Goto the Rad Shack website and look for support under the Pro-96. Also search the yahoo groups for pro-96. Strong signals website may also help.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Is this a good scanner for the price?

Quote Originally Posted by hookem202

I need a scanner that will look good in my small car. Also one that doesnt cost that much.
    I searched a on ebay for and theres lots of BC350Cs, it seems that most of these models are refurbished ones too so ill think twice about this one.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreak

I searched a on ebay for and theres lots of BC350Cs, it seems that most of these models are refurbished ones too so ill think twice about this one.
    Scanners purchased on e-bay may not have a warranty. And scanners malfunction just as much, if not more than radar detectors. You know how these RF toys are.

GTO_04

Good Citizen

The Pro 96 does not have a signal stalker feature the Pro 83, Pro 97, and Pro 2051 in the current Radio Shack line have signal stalker.

fireant

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by fireant
    The Pro 96 does not have a signal stalker feature the Pro 83, Pro 97, and Pro 2051 in the current Radio Shack line have signal stalker.

fireant
    Thanks for the info. I was just about to read the entire Pro-96 Owner's Manual. You saved me a lot of time!

GTO_04

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04

Scanners purchased on e-bay may not have a warranty. And scanners malfunction just as much, if not more than radar detectors. You know how these RF toys are.

GTO_04
    Most of them have the 90 days waranty and some one year. But its refurbished... its items that are returned to the company for many reasons, its suposed to be repaired by the company if it wasnt working, but like ebay is you got to be real carefull.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04

GTO_04
    My past customer service with Uniden was terrible as I called them and was always put on hold for 20 minutes or more. Perhaps today it is better lets hope.
    Radio Shack does have great customer service should you have a problem with your scanner and eventually you will if you use it alot or turn it on and off as the volume / off/ on dials get loose.