Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Best handheld scanner?

I am considering buying a scanner. I am looking for some opinions on which one to go with.

The ones I am thinking about are the:
    Uniden BCD396T or Radio Shack pro 96

Since I don't know much about these things, and a lot of you seem to be experts I was hoping to get some advice. I probably won't drive around with it to much, but it would be cool to listen to stuff going on every once in a while.

Thanks, LH

Speed Demon

as mentioned in many many scanner threads, you can go to radioreference.com. You will find anything and everything on those forums, if not just ask. The pro 96 is the most raved about digital scanner, you have to look closely at all the features it has and compare them. If you dont know what something is, ask here or register over at RR.com

Newcomer

Cool, thanks for the info I appreciate it !

LH

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Best handheld scanner?

Quote Originally Posted by LaserHater
    I am considering buying a scanner. I am looking for some opinions on which one to go with.

Since I don't know much about these things, and a lot of you seem to be experts I was hoping to get some advice. I probably won't drive around with it to much, but it would be cool to listen to stuff going on every once in a while.

Thanks, LH
    I own both scanners. They are both very good and either will serve you well. You will get good information on both of them on radioreference.com.

I prefer the 396T over the Pro-96. The 396T has better RF sensitivity and is less prone to static interference. You can store a lot more frequencies and trunked talk groups in the 396. And it's memory is more logical to deal with. But I am not knocking the Pro-96 at all. It is very good, has great audio quality and power. It is much better than the older Uniden handhelds like the 250D and 296D.

The Pro-96 has been acting up a little bit, picking up electrical noise from other boats. I get interference in the form of a whistling sound and open carrier on digital 800 MHz systems. It only started doing this recently so it is not normal for it. I will probably get it serviced.

I will keep the Pro-96 and use it in the boat. I got stuck in a thunderstorm the other day, the Pro-96 got wet, but it survived just fine.

The Pro-96 is a lot bigger than the 396T, so if you want to be stealthy, the 396T may be preferable. The 396 is easier to program too. Either scanner can be programmed by PC software too. If you go with the 396, get the Comet SMA-501 800 MHz antenna. It is very short (stealthy) and works well for local trunked radio systems on 800 MHz. With that antenna, you can put the 396 in your pocket and listen with an earphone.

Like I said, both are good scanners and either one will serve you well. I do prefer the Uniden because it is more sensitive, it is smaller and has more advanced features. It has Close Call feature that notifies you of radio transmitters in very close proximity to you. Kind of cool IMHO. Most law enforcement agencies are going digital, so you are correct to only consider these handheld scanners.

Another plus for the 396T is the blue LED backlight. It is much easier to read than the amber backlights in other scanners.

GTO_04

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04

Thanks, LH
    I own both scanners. They are both very good and either will serve you well. You will get good information on both of them on radioreference.com.

I prefer the 396T over the Pro-96. The 396T has better RF sensitivity and is less prone to static interference. You can store a lot more frequencies and trunked talk groups in the 396. And it's memory is more logical to deal with. But I am not knocking the Pro-96 at all. It is very good, has great audio quality and power. It is much better than the older Uniden handhelds like the 250D and 296D.

The Pro-96 has been acting up a little bit, picking up electrical noise from other boats. I get interference in the form of a whistling sound and open carrier on digital 800 MHz systems. It only started doing this recently so it is not normal for it. I will probably get it serviced.

I will keep the Pro-96 and use it in the boat. I got stuck in a thunderstorm the other day, the Pro-96 got wet, but it survived just fine.

The Pro-96 is a lot bigger than the 396T, so if you want to be stealthy, the 396T may be preferable. The 396 is easier to program too. Either scanner can be programmed by PC software too. If you go with the 396, get the Comet SMA-501 800 MHz antenna. It is very short (stealthy) and works well for local trunked radio systems on 800 MHz. With that antenna, you can put the 396 in your pocket and listen with an earphone.

Like I said, both are good scanners and either one will serve you well. I do prefer the Uniden because it is more sensitive, it is smaller and has more advanced features. It has Close Call feature that notifies you of radio transmitters in very close proximity to you. Kind of cool IMHO. Most law enforcement agencies are going digital, so you are correct to only consider these handheld scanners.

Another plus for the 396T is the blue LED backlight. It is much easier to read than the amber backlights in other scanners.

GTO_04
    [replacer_img] Thanks, I ordered the 396T tonight 8)

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04

Thanks, LH

GTO_04
    [replacer_img] Thanks, I ordered the 396T tonight 8)
    Great choice. You will like it!

GTO_04

Speed Demon

Laserhater, Go to this thread on the RR.com site. If you havent checked it out it will give you lots of info.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums...ad.php?t=16779

Newcomer

-

Speed Demon

Thanks, thats a lot of good info. I am gunna need it. This thing sounds super complicated. I use radios at work, I think they are digital and trunked and all that but I don't know anything about them. I always sleep during the training classes on them :wink: This should be fun.

LH

Once you get the hang of it, it should be cake. Now how long will it take you to get a hold of it? Hope not to long....good luck, let me know what you think.

Have you ever used a scanner before? if so what models?

Newcomer

It should be here some time next week, I would think by wed. I can't wait. The only scanner I ever used was like over 5 years ago. I saw on the site you linked they have a frequency database. That should be really useful.

LH