Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern MA
    Posts
    10,127

    Default Mobile Scanner Antenna

    First of i want this to be pretty stealth antenna or to get a CB antenna that looks exactly the same

    Currently I running to antenna's on my Uniden the RS 800mhz and the stock one, for car trips I am thinking about a glass mount antenna to give the illusion that it's for my Cell phone has anyone had expierence with this antenna I plan to continue to use my T-spliter with the 800mhz antenna and the mobile antenna

    Any of you guys have suggestions? Any of you know of a CB antenna and a scanner antenna look exactly alike?

    Here is a pic of my current set-up at home

    Spoiler: show

    Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

  2. #2
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ft Worth Texas
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Is that 800 RS not doing it for ya? I would not go with a through-glass antenna, you will be picking up more signals with the 800RS. What all are you going to be scanning, you need to narrow it down to that first.

  3. #3
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Computer interfacing!!
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Forget about the thru the glass models, they lose gain. I like the hustler 144/440 magnetic mount antennas.

  4. #4
    Professional
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lufkin, TX
    Posts
    881

    Default

    Some of the "rare-earth" antenna models are neat. They're small and they're cell-look-alikes. The down side is that the magnet is small. I'm not sure how well they would hold up at high speeds on a car.

    You can always drill in the body :wink:

  5. #5
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern MA
    Posts
    10,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CLTX11
    Is that 800 RS not doing it for ya? I would not go with a through-glass antenna, you will be picking up more signals with the 800RS. What all are you going to be scanning, you need to narrow it down to that first.
    Where I drive i don't have to worry about 800mhz on the road when i drive from NY through NJ, PA, and Upstate NY

    The only state that uses the 800mhz on the hwy is NJ both PA and upstate ny troopers are using conventional systems. Plus I need somthing that will just be good at picking up High VHF signals and CB ch 19...(I sold my CB to a friend thinking my family had two) I'm very comfortable with my RS 800mhz for trunked systems...All i want is extented range on on high VHF and cb frequencies with a stealth install. Plus thats the biggest antenna hat a glass mount at 28" so i thought more metal the better

    Spoiler: show

    Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

  6. #6
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Computer interfacing!!
    Posts
    538

    Default

    My experience with thru the glass is that they are very poor. How about a window clip mount with your favorite handheld antenna ?

  7. #7
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ft Worth Texas
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arvetus
    Some of the "rare-earth" antenna models are neat. They're small and they're cell-look-alikes. The down side is that the magnet is small. I'm not sure how well they would hold up at high speeds on a car.

    You can always drill in the body :wink:

    I purchased a Valor antenna with the "rare earth mag." It has withheld speeds up to 100 MPH. This is the one I purchased, it is very cheap and does what I need it to do. If you have a little more money to spend on one let me know and ill post up a link to a really good antenna and mag mount.

    http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...antm/1190.html

    Now for CB, you will not be able to get a good strong signal with any scanner antenna. They are usually rated higher than 28mHz, you can get reception but it truly isnt worth it cause you cant get much of a distance.

    I would recommend just buying a CB to listen in on.

  8. #8
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern MA
    Posts
    10,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vw242
    My experience with thru the glass is that they are very poor. How about a window clip mount with your favorite handheld antenna ?
    Thats what i was thinking I'd use my stock duckie for the outside and keep the RS 800mhz inside my car

    I would buy a CB but i would rather spend money on a jammer. From what i hear about CBs is if you get a cheap one the range sux noo matter how big the antenna is...I could easily get a cheap CB from ebay like this one(Radio Shack TRC-519) and use a big whip antenna but how good would the range be

    Spoiler: show

    Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

  9. #9
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ft Worth Texas
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Quote Originally Posted by vw242
    My experience with thru the glass is that they are very poor. How about a window clip mount with your favorite handheld antenna ?
    Thats what i was thinking I'd use my stock duckie for the outside and keep the RS 800mhz inside my car

    I would buy a CB but i would rather spend money on a jammer. From what i hear about CBs is if you get a cheap one the range sux noo matter how big the antenna is...I could easily get a cheap CB from ebay like this one(Radio Shack TRC-519) and use a big whip antenna but how good would the range be
    The suction cup antenna comes stock with the BCT8. They pretty much suck. It is true, the higher end CB's are going to be a little better, if you just want to listen get a mid range priced CB and a good antenna and be sure you have it tuned. Since all you want to listen to is 19 you can tune it to be best on that channel

  10. #10
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern MA
    Posts
    10,127

    Default

    Well i just bid on a pair of GE handheld CBs which have antenna for outside the car I bid really low so i would be surpriseds if i even get them since alone one of them sells for $10 and my maximum bid is $10.70 but oh well it would be a cool thing to have in my car incase my Cell phone dies and i need help

    Spoiler: show

    Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Mobile Scanner Antenna Question
    By BlackfrontyMike in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 11:06 PM
  2. Suggestion on mobile scanner
    By OpenRoad in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-13-2011, 11:14 PM
  3. Mobile scanner antenna
    By srtga in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2009, 08:03 PM
  4. Mobile 800 MHz Scanner
    By DeadReb245 in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 11:08 AM
  5. mobile antenna (police scanner)
    By joker1911 in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 06:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •