Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default RF Gain and Auto Squelch: How useful are they?

I am thinking about upgrading my radio to a Uniden PC68 Elite.

Is it worth the extra money over my bare bones Pro 510XL?

Also, does a peak and tune affect reception or just transmission?

Good Citizen

Hey oven cleaner

rf gain affects sensitivity of your reception

you should aleady have squelch on your 510.. The 510 is a good compact radio. Your peak and tune depending on who does it does affects transmission..although illegal ,its done quite often everywhere. find a reputable shop in your area. Pm me if you need more info.

Experienced

like he said, rf gain affects reception, but he is incorrect about the legality of a peak and tune... typically a peak and tune just allows the maximum power on your radio, which is within the legal boundaries... this means that while the radio manufacturers claim to run at their maximum power (the legal limit), they usually run significantly less. honestly i would say stay with the radio you have, it's all wired and ready to go so theres no need to purge money (unless it's burning a hole in your pocket or something). if you want to upgrade something, go with your antenna first... im pretty sure i recall you have a lil will, try getting a wilson 1000 or 5000, that really makes the difference. a radio can only go as far as the whip lets it

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by p8ik8e View Post
    but he is incorrect about the legality of a peak and tune... typically a peak and tune just allows the maximum power on your radio, which is within the legal boundaries
    Legally speaking, any person who operates a CB radio that has been modified to transmit more than a 4 watt carrier in AM mode is breaking the law. Radios are usually shipped with components that are able to output more than the legal wattage. However, they cannot be sold to you if they are peaked to go above that limit. A Cobra 148 can typically be peaked to 8 watts carrier or "deadkey." Operating the radio with an 8 watt deadkey is a violation of the law.
    Last edited by DeadReb245; 06-25-2008 at 01:04 AM.

Advanced Member

I have been using a 510xl tuned to swing up to 20watts when transmiting and no one can tell I am doing anything really and if they take a quick glance at my radio it looks stock.

My next radio will be tuned to swing at 45-50watts and have the recieving boosted 30% and no will tell that the radio is modified...Its when you use a linear amp that it's illegal and obvious
    Last edited by crazyVOLVOrob; 06-25-2008 at 01:38 AM.

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by f86sabjf View Post
    Hey oven cleaner

rf gain affects sensitivity of your reception

you should aleady have squelch on your 510.. The 510 is a good compact radio. Your peak and tune depending on who does it does affects transmission..although illegal ,its done quite often everywhere. find a reputable shop in your area. Pm me if you need more info.
    Yes I have squelch, but there is a feature advertised as "Auto Squelch"

Experienced

DeadReb- it was always my understanding that basic cb units (like the uni 510xl, cobra classics, midland 1001z, etc) could only make up to 4ish watts max and that they were constricted to 2-3 just to make sure that they were compliant with th fcc laws... thanks for clarifying... i guess my cb is probably illegal then oops...
    wow thats a pretty powerful 510xl rob... its always nice getting a little more reception, i didnt realize that they could increase that through a tune on a radio... ive never really thought of a need to run a high power radio or get a linear, as i typically am mostly listening to everyone else or just calling out bears' locations
    ovencleaner, never used a 510xl, so i dont know anything about the "auto squelch" feature

Good Citizen

check your pm,s ovencleaner

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by p8ik8e View Post
    wow thats a pretty powerful 510xl rob... its always nice getting a little more reception, i didnt realize that they could increase that through a tune on a radio... ive never really thought of a need to run a high power radio or get a linear, as i typically am mostly listening to everyone else or just calling out bears' locations
    ovencleaner, never used a 510xl, so i dont know anything about the "auto squelch" feature
    Thank you the place where i got my radio tuned and I charged with the deal of tuning my new radio is Sparky's CB Shop...They can be found with a simple google search

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

I've heard good things about Sparky's might get my next radio from them.