Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default What was this old Uniden called???

I remember a while back that there was a uniden product that had the close call feature of a scanner but no other scanner functions. Basically it was just a small unit that mounted on the windshield and would pick up repearter signals and alert you to them. I know that it is not made any more but i stilll would like to pick one of these onld units up. Does anyone have the name of the older unit? I tried searching this site since i know it has been on here many a time, but didn't come up with any hits.

Thanks

Radar Fanatic

Beartracker?

I have one. Only problem is it doesn't work with digital bands.

Radar Fanatic

Is it ust called th ebear tracker. I thought beartracker was just a blanket name that uniden used for all of its scanners with this feature. The unit I am reffering to does not have any listening capabilities it is just a beartracker. Is there a model number or other way of distinguishing it from other unidens with the bear tracker capability?

Radar Fanatic

Just found out; it is called the BCT-12. If anyone has one they are willing to part with let me know and I will make an offer. Or if you know any place that might be selling them; I just checked all the major auction sites and no luck.

Thanks

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by carter840 View Post
    Just found out; it is called the BCT-12. If anyone has one they are willing to part with let me know and I will make an offer. Or if you know any place that might be selling them; I just checked all the major auction sites and no luck.

Thanks
    Did you not see my reply and look at my signature?

How much do you want to give me?

Yoda of Radar

Those things are pretty useless as a countermeasure in most areas of the country. Not even the theory was really sound. And with the majority of police agencies quickly moving around to different bands and systems, they just can't keep up. You think radar false alerts are annoying? That's nothing compared to the annoyance you'll get from slamming on your brakes every time a stray radio signal finds it's way into your Beartracker. Even the actual "bear" finds are useless, because if he's talking on his radio, he's either already got you, or else he's too busy to mess with you.

It's just not even a worthwhile concept.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Professional

I had a BCT 12. Wasn't worth much when it came to providing useful info...

Radar Fanatic

Well perhaps I can just tune my BC246t better and get even better results. I just havnt really spend the needed time to put in frequencies. Thanks for the help.

Yoda of Radar

Well, since you play cagy with your location, it's hard to say, but chances are that any scanner is going to be about as useless as the BCT-8 or 12 would be. It's not the device that sucks. It is the concept of using a scanner to avoid traffic cops that sucks. It's a lame theory. Only in very limited situations and very limited locations would it offer you any advantage whatsoever. And only then if you are a proficient scannist that is very well versed in choosing the correct channels at the correct times, and interpreting the information you hear. Unless you're a serious scanner buff, you won't be able to make heads nor tales out of any of what you hear. And even if you could, none of it is going to tell you where they are running radar. They simply don't announce those things. Not because it's a big secret. Just because the dispatchers don't care.

In another thread, someone mentioned the possibility of radar detectors getting you undue attention from the cops. Well, if you want to experience undue attention from the cops, let them see a scanner in your car. I guarantee you it will extend the length of your traffic stop as they try to determine if you are a troublemaker or not. Fair or not, that's how it usually works out, so be aware.
    Last edited by Stealth Stalker; 07-15-2008 at 07:48 AM.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

If I was a cop and i seen someone with scanner in their car I'd want to talk to them or at least, I'd follow them for a while.

If i was a criminal or simply up to no good I'd have a scanner.

-----

I have a scanner, I'm not up to no good, but you better believe I keep it low in the car when I'm out around.

With regards to the OPs original idea of using it to avoid the police.... well, depending on your area it might work great for the time being. I'd suggest getting something with digital and every system available (like the psr500 for instance) to avoid needing to swap up in the future. Resale on the high end units like that is almost 100% anyway, so if you got one and decided to sell it months down the road you probably wouldn't be out a whole lot.