Newcomer

Default Broken CB antenna

Hello everyone,

I've found I have had to find another CB antenna after the cable on the one I've had for 20 years decided to break near the coupling leading into the radio. They just don't build 'em to last! LOL

I've looked for a new one at Advanced Auto Parts, Best Buy, and Wal Mart and none of these stores had any. I suppose my next stop should be at radio shack.

Now, I have a couple of questions about this new antenna:

Is there anything I need to especially look for in this new antenna?

I'm going to attach it to my 25+ year old radio. Are the connections from the antenna to the radio all the same? The radio I have is a 23 channel Hy-Gain (I know there's going to be a lot of envy once a few people see that!)

My last antenna was only about 27" tall which made it convenient to put it magnetically on the top of my car when traveling. I would like to stick with an antenna about the same heigth.

Any thoughts you'd like to share would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rebel

Yoda of Radar

If you're otherwise happy with the performance, I'd just get a crimp-on PL-259 connector at Rat Shack to replace the one that fell off, and keep what you've got. Rat Shack antennae suck.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Yoda of Radar

I would go with a Mag Mount Wilson Lil' Wil. They are ~3feet (total) and work like a champ, they also aren't that unsightly. From my experience they come fairly 'in-tune' also as far as SWR ratios go (Low-to-Mid 1's across the spectrum). That will most likely set you back around 40-45shipped to your door. Your local truck stop/cb shop will have it for I'd say ~30bucks.

Stay away from RS junk (As SSTalker said)... the SWR ratio's on them are plain terrible, they are impossible to get within an acceptable range in that department from my experience. (Maybe I just tried a few bad antennas from them... but thats a few too many for me...)

Or you could (As SStalker said) go out and replace the part, though I would just get a new antenna. (If parts are breaking off from wear-and tear), its like putting a band-aid on something that needs stitches.

I hate to spend other peoples money... but I would get a new CB well you are at it. Or at least take the one you have to a local truckers shop and make sure its in good working order. (Though they might give you an odd look though, then go on to say how they loved your radio in the 1980's lol).

You can get a brand new CB radio, and a Little Wil for right around ~100bucks that would do you good.

Newcomer

Well now, there's a place I didn't consider. I looked for these connectors in the other stores I visited, but couldn't find any, so I thought they were non-existant and decided I'd have to get an entire new antenna instead.

Actually, people kinda looked weird at me each time I mentioned I needed help with a CB radio antenna....as if I was from another era in time.

I use the CB radio but twice a year when I go on a road trip from SC to Mich to visit family and friends. I rarely talk on the radio but it has saved me twice from having to wait out expressway shut downs due to accidents. As far as I'm cocerned, the amount of channels I have on my radio are about 21 too many...all I do is listen to the truckers on the road for amusement during my travels.

If I'm not able to find a part that will fix the antenna, I think I will get one of the Little Wil, I've heard good things about them.

I'll have to give Radio Shack a visit tomorrow and see if they have something to repair what I have.

Thanks for your responses,

Rebel
    Last edited by Rebel Gent; 07-31-2008 at 05:10 AM.

Yoda of Radar

No problem, you will most likely find what you are looking for, but trust me (from personal experience): The Lil Wil is amazing for its size.

Radar Fanatic

Totally agree on the Little Wil, I put one on a month ago before a road trip to Colo. Looks great and incredible range. Got mine off an Ebay dealer at a good price.

Experienced

Another vote here for the Little Wil.

Radar Fanatic

A Lil Wil won't let you down