Default How to get through car firewall

OK, so I'm trying to run the power wires thru the firewall and I'm having a hard time. There is an existing hole thru a rubber grommet in the firewall thru which the aftermarket car alarm was wired. I tried to use this same hole to run the wires. I took a coat hanger and made it straight, then ran it through the hole from the engine side into the cabin. Then in the cabin I used electrical tape to secure the wires to the end of the coat hanger. I tried pulling the coat hanger back out so that the electrical wires would now have been thru the firewall and in the engine bay. Everytime I try this the wires fall off the coat hanger because the hole in the grommet is too small. I would try enlargening the hole, but I cannot get access to it because there are so many other wires and things in the way. Is there another way to get the wires thru besides drilling a hole in the firewall?

Default Re: How to get through car firewall

what make model and year car do you have?

I have a 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Experienced

Darn Captain....this CB thing is turning into quit a project for you isn't it? I have been having the same dilemma as you when it comes to wires. I had a mechanic hard wire my cig lighter and he heated up a ice pick and melted a hole threw a existing grommet in the firewall for that wire. Then he sealed it with silicone. I will have to drill a hole or two for all the stuff I am installing lately. I have a Jammer to install next.

Quote Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
    Darn Captain....this CB thing is turning into quit a project for you isn't it? I have been having the same dilemma as you when it comes to wires. I had a mechanic hard wire my cig lighter and he heated up a ice pick and melted a hole threw a existing grommet in the firewall for that wire. Then he sealed it with silicone. I will have to drill a hole or two for all the stuff I am installing lately. I have a Jammer to install next.
    LOL, this has been quite the project. I was looking into jammers until I heard that the CB could be had for about $100. I've got everything wired now (I was able to get thru the firewall) but now it's just a matter of eliminating the annoying whine sound I am getting and calibrating the SWR.