Good Citizen

Default Thanks for everbody imput I have decided on A CB and it is a Cobra here it is

Cobra

i have decided on this, walmart has it for 34 bucks, how is this CB, iam affard its cobra does cobra atleast makes good CBS then they do radar detectors. I had a question, would I nedd an athenna, iam looking for a new car maybe before teh snow hits I would purchase one so I dont want to put an athenna in my old are right know. But can i use it for a while see if I like it with out an anthennha

and or what about this one at frys

UNIDEN PRO520XL CB RADIO for 54 99
    Last edited by RoadWarrior86; 11-26-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Thanks for everbody imput I have decided on A CB and it is a Cobra here it is

It is a good radio for the price. It is the same one I am running. If you run it without an antenna you will fry the radio in a very short time. This is a bad thing.
    It will need a properly tuned antenna to get the SWR set, or you will burn up the finals in the radio. You will need a SWR meter or a truck stop to set it correctly.

Experienced

Default Re: Thanks for everbody imput I have decided on A CB and it is a Cobra here it is

As Fire65 said...get an antenna and tune it. Running the radio without a tuned antenna will cause serious problems and you will be out buying another new radio. Besides, you will not hear much other than static without an antenna.

Radar Fanatic

I just got on until I can get my uniden in the shop, I think the uniden is off frequency on the transmit circuit. I will use the cobra for now and keep it as a backup, for $35 it seems like a good radio. And actually the one at Walmart for $35 is the 19 DX III not the IV, in the IV they added the RF gain switch.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior86 View Post
    i have decided on this, walmart has it for 34 bucks, how is this CB, iam affard its cobra does cobra atleast makes good CBS then they do radar detectors.
    Good for what? We need to know what you want to do with the CB.

That's like asking if Porsche is a good car. Good for what? Fast driving, great. Off roading, not so much.

Or is a .243 a good gun? Good for what? Varmint hunting, great. Elephant hunting, not so much.

If all you want to do is listen for Smokey Reports on the highway, that is probably the best deal going on a radio these days. Reliable, compact, good ears, easy to use, and very inexpensive. It would be my first recommendation to anyone for those reasons. But if you're looking for a new hobby, and think you're going to talk and listen all over the world with it, no, that is not a good radio, lol.

Just get a magnetic antenna, and you won't have any problem moving it to the new car. But, as already recommended you MUST get the installed radio and antenna checked out at a radio shop BEFORE you start trying to talk on it! Otherwise, you'll likely kill it and waste your money.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Radar Fanatic

hey fire65 what kind of range do you get on the Cobra?

Good Citizen

well I want it to hear beartraps set up, and why would I start a hooby and talk to the whole world. I wouldnt know what to talk about , so which one is good the cobra or the uniden, the uniden is about 10 bucks more. What do you do with a scanner, that you said I could talk to the whole world.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior86 View Post
    well I want it to hear beartraps set up, and why would I start a hooby and talk to the whole world. I wouldnt know what to talk about , so which one is good the cobra or the uniden, the uniden is about 10 bucks more. What do you do with a scanner, that you said I could talk to the whole world.

Either one will work for what you want to do. Start cheap and learn from there. Just get a quality antenna like the Wilson Little Wil magnet mount, and you will be good to go.

Radar Fanatic

I get 7 plus here in the flat lands of SW Oklahoma. Good thing is lots of truckers run very good radios which helps when you are on the receiving end. I also run the lil wil.