Radar Fanatic
    Wouldn't u like to know

Default Think I messed up my Short Load HELP

So I went to trim my short load antenna to better tune the SWR, but I think I took off way too much. I trimmed about 2.2 inches and not am getting very very high SWR readings. Before trimming I had readings of 2 or so and now I have readings of like 6 or more. Did I take off too much and should I order a new short load? What length of the top have most people taken of to get a proper tune. Can I order Just the top metal antenna part and not order the entire thing again? Also this is being used with a wilson 5000 if that matters.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Think I messed up my Short Load HELP

Yeah, you most likely took off WAY too much.

Generally .25 inches will create a noticeable change in SWR readings, 1Inch will create a drastic difference in SWR readings.

Changing 2+ inches is asking for a costly mistake... I think you overshot a bit, and now you are most likely looking at a new antenna.

The bigger issue here is: Why was it above 2 in the first place? Normally if you are having trouble getting it below 2, there is a bad connection (or ground) in the equation. So even a new antenna may not fix this issue. You may need to try a different placement or re-check your connections.

Do not try to transmit with SWR #'s as high as yours. It is not good for the radio.

Are you checking you SWR with nothing within 50feet (or more) of you? I am talking open field or deserted parking lot open.

PS: As far as the ordering issues, check Wilsons website... and also call a local CB shop, see if they can get the item.

You live and learn... good-luck. Please come back and ask before you go about making more drastic moves like that... they can add up $$$
    Last edited by AirMoore; 12-04-2008 at 02:03 PM.