Experienced

Default newbie when it comes to scanners and cb's...

hey guys... i'm looking to get a scanner for my car and see what its like. Always loved watching Erick's vids with his scanner running.. anyways i just want something basic, if there is such a thing. I live in Washington state if it makes a difference, any info would be appreciated. something small and not very noticeable is what i'm after.... thanks guys

Street Lawyer

Default Re: newbie when it comes to scanners and cb's...

Quote Originally Posted by bigmack View Post
    hey guys... i'm looking to get a scanner for my car and see what its like. Always loved watching Erick's vids with his scanner running.. anyways i just want something basic, if there is such a thing. I live in Washington state if it makes a difference, any info would be appreciated. something small and not very noticeable is what i'm after.... thanks guys
    RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

Go there to determine weather or not your county uses digital, if it uses digital you'll probably need to save up some bucks. If it's just analog trunking, or analog period, pick up a rat-shack pro-97, it's what me and erick run and it serves us well for the $

Experienced

thank you for the quick reply... however i'm not sure how to tell if its digital or analog... here is the link to my hometown if someone could help me out? Whatcom County, Washington (WA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
    thanks guys

Street Lawyer

thank you for the quick reply... however i'm not sure how to tell if its digital or analog... here is the link to my hometown if someone could help me out? Whatcom County, Washington (WA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
    thanks guys
    Well depends on what you want to listen to;

All Trunked Radio Systems in Whatcom County
    System Name Type City
    B.P. Cherry Point Refinery Motorola Type II Ferndale
    Bellingham / Whatcom County LTR Multinet Bellingham
    Mt Baker Recreation Inc LTR Standard Glacier
    U.S. Dept. of Justice: Integrated Wireless Network (IWN) Project 25 Standard Various
    Washington State Department of Transportation LTR Multinet Various
    Whatcom County Fire and Rescue Service (FARS) Project 25 Standard Blaine

The underlined is digital, the bold is analog and can be picked up the pro-97.

Experienced

i'm not really interested in fire and safety, but in listening to police freq's, which i don't see on the list..? sorry i may not be understand correctly.

Street Lawyer

i'm not really interested in fire and safety, but in listening to police freq's, which i don't see on the list..? sorry i may not be understand correctly.
    Scanner Frequencies: Bellingham / Whatcom County Trunking System, Bellingham, Washington

It says audio is analog, but LTI multisystem, I thought multisystems were digital, or maybe they're not able to be picked up by the pro-97, I donno, I've never programmed an LTI system, but I do know pro-97 is supposed to be able to do LTI, just not sure if it will do mutlisystems. In any event, the link I posted is probably the system you're interested in, unfortunately no one has contributed the talkgroups which would tell you what is on that system.
    Last edited by Lucky225; 12-24-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling