Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default why do so many ppl suggest the pro 97...

when there seems to be a lot of other scanners that radioshack carries for cheaper. I'm new at this so if that was a stupid question i'm sorry lol...just a quick lesson is all i need thanks guys

Experienced

Default Re: why do so many ppl suggest the pro 97...

Quote Originally Posted by bigmack View Post
    when there seems to be a lot of other scanners that radioshack carries for cheaper. I'm new at this so if that was a stupid question i'm sorry lol...just a quick lesson is all i need thanks guys
    Check out the Uniden line of scanners, lots more to chose from. Depends on what is in your area, and the type of agencies you want to listen in on as to what scanner you want. One word of advice is to keep the scanner you chose as simple as possible at first. Most will come with a lot more features than you will use, so “the top of the line” is not necessarily needed to enjoy the scanner hobby as an amateur.

Experienced

k i guess i should ask it like this.... if i live in Bellingham, Wa and want to monitor police frequency's, then what kind of scanner should i look at for channel and MHz coverage wise. some scanners say 200 channel 800 MHz, but i have no clue what i would be looking for. just a general idea before i go to the store tomorrow

Street Lawyer

Pro-97 is the CHEAPEST triple analog trunking scanner, which is what most of the US is on. The digital scanners cost even more, and eventually most of the US will be on digital, but the Pro-97 is the cheapest scanner that work's in today's world.

Experienced

Look up your area on this site.
    RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

It will have all to frequencies used in your area. Almost all are within the 800 MHz range, unless they are using digital and that is P25. So, you will have to look to see if your area is using digital, if it is not, then almost any police type scanner will work for you. Tell the guy at the store and they can help as well with your choice of scanner.

Experienced

thanks everyone... much appreciated. have a good rest of your holiday. Happy speeding

Yoda of Radar

when there seems to be a lot of other scanners that radioshack carries for cheaper.
    I don't suggest ANY Rat Shack scanner. They're all going to be obsolete very quickly as rebanding comes around.

As is already pointed out, scanner recommendation is going to be VERY specific to your area and your interests. If you post a link to the page for the area you want to monitor, we can take a look and make a recommendation for you. But I would almost guarantee that you're going to need trunking, meaning that the 97 is the minimum you will need, from RS at least.

But, as always, I don't recommend you buy a scanner at all unless you plan to spend a LOT of time immersing yourself into the scanning hobby. Otherwise, it's a waste of time and money.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Speedtrap Crasher

The Pro97 will also stay illuminated at night. The cheaper scanners only temporarily illuminate if the even do at all.

I agree with StealthStalker in principle. They are kind of throw away electronics. One of the other reasons I run one is so if my car gets broken into I don't have four figures worth of gadgets lifted. Right now the V1 is the only thing I pull out of my car.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Good Citizen

Anyone whose about to spend money on a scanner, heads up as uniden is about to release two new ones in the coming month.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by primehifi View Post
    Anyone whose about to spend money on a scanner, heads up as uniden is about to release two new ones in the coming month.
    Do you know what they are? I am thinking of getting a digital scanner. Basically the only reason I need a digital is the National Park Rangers are going to digital in some parks. My home area is still all analog. Then while traveling, I want to be able to pick up highway patrol regardless what they are running. What's up with this encrypted crap anyway???