Professional

Default GE Citizens Band Transiver 3-5980A

I found this GE Citizens Band Transiver 3-5980A while going though old stuff of mine.
    I was just wondering if it is a good CB. Or is it out dated.

I wasen't really looking to get a CB so i don't know to much about them.

Just wondering if anyone uses one or knows something about the quality of this product.

Experienced

Default Re: GE Citizens Band Transiver 3-5980A

Quote Originally Posted by stano0098 View Post
    I found this GE Citizens Band Transiver 3-5980A while going though old stuff of mine.
    I was just wondering if it is a good CB. Or is it out dated.

I wasen't really looking to get a CB so i don't know to much about them.

Just wondering if anyone uses one or knows something about the quality of this product.
    I did a qiuck goggle search and found this.

GE 3-5980a Citizen Band Transceivers. A hand held CB with 40 channels, range of 3 miles, average battery life of 30 hours. Additional features include battery level meter, detachable antenna, low battery alert, removable antenna, stealth squelch, and the unit is weatherproof.

Turn it on, and see what it does!

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
    I did a qiuck goggle search and found this.

GE 3-5980a Citizen Band Transceivers. A hand held CB with 40 channels, range of 3 miles, average battery life of 30 hours. Additional features include battery level meter, detachable antenna, low battery alert, removable antenna, stealth squelch, and the unit is weatherproof.

Turn it on, and see what it does!
    I just get a huge amount of noise. I live relatively close to a highway but cant hear anything on channel 19. I have it hooked up to a power source so no need for batteries.

Yoda of Radar

Nothing wrong with old radios, so long as they are in good shape. I use a thirty year old CB myself because I like it better than anything currently available. Although, to keep them in peak performance can cost more than a new radio.

That said, handheld CBs are useless as a countermeasure, and nearly useless as an emergency device. They're not good for anything more than a kids toy.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Street Lawyer

I just get a huge amount of noise. I live relatively close to a highway but cant hear anything on channel 19. I have it hooked up to a power source so no need for batteries.
    Turn the squealch up

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky225 View Post
    Turn the squealch up
    I did that. But im still getting a lot of noise. Sometimes i could distinguish voices on it but maybe im too far away from the highway. Im going to test it this weekend when i get fresh batteries. To see if the truckers could hear me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    That said, handheld CBs are useless as a countermeasure, and nearly useless as an emergency device. They're not good for anything more than a kids toy.
    Yeah even if it does work good im not really one to use a CB for a countermeasure.
    But i would keep it in my truck for fun.

Yoda of Radar

Yeah even if it does work good im not really one to use a CB for a countermeasure.
    But i would keep it in my truck for fun.
    LOL! I got my first CB just before the CB craze took off in the mid 70s, and truckers and businessmen were about the only ones using them. It was a Radio Shack 5 channel walkie talkie that was huge. I lived right next to the Interstate, so I would go sit on the hilltop overlooking the freeway and try to talk to passing truckers. Even as high up as I was, they could only hear me for a couple of blocks at best They'd answer my "breaker", and by the time I had replied to them, they couldn't receive me anymore, lol. I'm sure a lot of other truckers were wondering who that guy was talking to since they sure couldn't hear me.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Radar Fanatic

Why wouldn't you use it as a countermeasure? It is one of the best on the highway. Maybe not the one you have but a working CB has given me some of my best and longest range alerts ever. Way past what any RD will give you.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by fire65 View Post
    Why wouldn't you use it as a countermeasure? It is one of the best on the highway. Maybe not the one you have but a working CB has given me some of my best and longest range alerts ever. Way past what any RD will give you.
    Not really saying i wouldn't use it for a countermeasure. Its just i don't really trust other people saying there is a cops hiding and then you are going the PSL and their isn't even a cops anywhere. I realize that they could have picked up and left but i need actual hard evidence to convince me to slow down. yeah i might use more cation but i wouldn't really say a CB would save me from a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    LOL! I got my first CB just before the CB craze took off in the mid 70s, and truckers and businessmen were about the only ones using them. It was a Radio Shack 5 channel walkie talkie that was huge. I lived right next to the Interstate, so I would go sit on the hilltop overlooking the freeway and try to talk to passing truckers. Even as high up as I was, they could only hear me for a couple of blocks at best They'd answer my "breaker", and by the time I had replied to them, they couldn't receive me anymore, lol. I'm sure a lot of other truckers were wondering who that guy was talking to since they sure couldn't hear me.
    Yeah i might joke around with truckers going to my gf's in Philadelphia during rush hr. I heard stories about how funny those guys can be when they are bored