Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB radio theft

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Default CB radio theft

Don't worry, I didn't make any involuntary donations, but I am woried about it...

Of all the things I have in my car (GPS, RD, CB), the CB rig is the only thing I can't quickly dismount and conceal in less than ten seconds or so.

Considering this isn't the 70's anymore, and all I have is a boring, black Cobra 19 DX IV with the stock mic, how interested is the average smash-and-grab thief in CB gear?

Default Re: CB radio theft

not very. they mostly care about GPS units these days.

most criminals these days probably don't even know what they are. mine is somewhat visible in my Jeep and I leave it alone even when I have the top down and the doors off.
    Rod Blagojevich: I'm Lawful, 'Feel Free' To Tape Me

chad dornsife for president in 2012!!!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by lugnuts View Post
    not very. they mostly care about GPS units these days.

most criminals these days probably don't even know what they are. mine is somewhat visible in my Jeep and I leave it alone even when I have the top down and the doors off.

x2, its not something you want to flaunt... thats for sure, because crooks see dollar signs in just about everything... but with that said:

A CB radio is VERY far down the list. There is not a huge black-market for something maybe 1% of car drivers use (if the percentage is even that high).

A CB is somewhat unique, because it is so visible, even if you hide the actual unit: Just because the antenna is a dead give away, that somewhere in the car/truck is a CB radio... unless you hide that too (which I have done before).

Power User

In Flint, if the thief can get $10 at the pawn shop for it, its $10 in his pocket.

Remember, thieves are stupid. IMO, they very rarely think through the risk/reward ratio, neither do they know what is good or not. So, stealing a CB radio is on the list, but as AM said, probably not at the top. 'Honest' theives will look for good stuff, others, anything that gets money.

Solution: Find car in parking lot with GPS. Park next to. But I wouldn't worry too much about it.

(I personally only use the CB on trips, so the antenna spends 95% of its time in the car and the CB is out of sight.)

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by FoolishOne View Post

(I personally only use the CB on trips, so the antenna spends 95% of its time in the car and the CB is out of sight.)

x2. Just mount the CB low, like by your knee. Out of sight, out of mind. If you really want to get crafty, you can get an adapter that splits off your regular vehicle antenna for use by your CB and Car Stereo at the same time.

Power User

Sounds like I should be OK. Honestly, in the last two cars I've driven daily I would leave the RD suction cups up on the windshield and never had a problem - even in the Miata for which anyone with a pocket knife has a key. I don't live in a place with an abundance of pawn shops or drug addicts in search of $10. (It's also pretty boring, but that's just how it works.)

Quote Originally Posted by FoolishOne
    Solution: Find car in parking lot with GPS. Park next to. But I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    I already have enough problems finding parking spots with a lesser chance of door dings.

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins5
    x2. Just mount the CB low, like by your knee. Out of sight, out of mind. If you really want to get crafty, you can get an adapter that splits off your regular vehicle antenna for use by your CB and Car Stereo at the same time.
    Mounted low - done. That's the only place it will go and still be practical. The problem is the antenna and the microphone (I do actually talk on it, so I can't just throw the mic under the seat like I've seen). The splitter deal might be stealth, but how does one tune the SWR on that beast?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post
    I already have enough problems finding parking spots with a lesser chance of door dings.
    Tell me about it...slowly over the course of time, the Supra is seeing less and less time parked in any parking lot. If I take her out, she comes right back home.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post
    Mounted low - done. That's the only place it will go and still be practical. The problem is the antenna and the microphone (I do actually talk on it, so I can't just throw the mic under the seat like I've seen). The splitter deal might be stealth, but how does one tune the SWR on that beast?
    The splitter has a tuner built in. You will of course need a handheld, or a buddy close by, to assist you in tuning the TX and RX. Best of luck!

rc

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins5 View Post
    The splitter has a tuner built in. You will of course need a handheld, or a buddy close by, to assist you in tuning the TX and RX. Best of luck!

rc
    Eh, I still don't trust it. I don't know a whole lot about the CB, but it sounds like it uses some sort of electronic trickery to avoid blowing up the radio by bleeding off energy as heat instead of putting it into the airwaves.

I welcome corrections.

Yoda of Radar

A word to the wise about mounting a CB underneath the dash on the drivers side... (ie: Under steering column):

Should you get into an accident (head on) it has happened before that CB have came came and crushed the kneecaps of the owner... as a matter of fact I was talking to someone (who happens to be a CB wholesaler) who said he knows a (former) trucker who installed a full-chassis CB there in his car.

Sadly he got into a head-on collision and it amputated his right leg below the knee...

Many people here don't run full-chassis radio's so you can get away with it... but still be aware.