Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CB - LOL

Street Lawyer

Default New CB - LOL

Posted this in my birthday thread;

Man just got back from walmart where I purchased and installed a $40 cobra CB radio, apparently those aren't any better then their $40 radar detectors

Wal-Mart Cobra 19 Ultra III Citizen Band Radio Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products

Off freq w/ channel 19, but then again I did purchase an $8 magmount from wally world too so who knows.

Anyone think a better antenna will help, or cobra's products just suck all around?

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: New CB - LOL

Actually the Cobra radio's aren't bad, its most likely your antenna...

What do you mean 'off-freq. with CH 19', how can you tell this? (My CB has a freq. read-out (mainly for SSB purpose), but a Cobra 19 is no where near having such a feature)

In order to have a good CB set-up the antenna is where its at. In other words a $100 antenna on a $40 radio will in most every-case work better then a $130 radio on a $10 antenna.

You also need to tune your CB/antenna with a SWR meter... I bet your SWR's are extremely high and you can ruin your radio that way.

Street Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post
    Actually the Cobra radio's aren't bad, its most likely your antenna...

What do you mean 'off-freq. with CH 19', how can you tell this? (My CB has a freq. read-out (mainly for SSB purpose), but a Cobra 19 is no where near having such a feature)

In order to have a good CB set-up the antenna is where its at. In other words a $100 antenna on a $40 radio will in most every-case work better then a $130 radio on a $10 antenna.

You also need to tune your CB/antenna with a SWR meter... I bet your SWR's are extremely high and you can ruin your radio that way.

Yea I figured as much, but there's no way to tune it on this radio, it's just a basic volume/squelch channel9/19 button, and channel dial. I've had a uniden grant xl in the past that worked great, and I figured this cobra is a mudduck, but hey it might be the antenna, like I said it's a cheap-o $8 mag mount, I'll get something better in the future and try it out.

Street Lawyer

As for off-frequency, the truckers said it sounded like I was on 18 or 20, wasn't coming in to clear on 19, sounded more like I was bleeding into 19, but not actually on it

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky225 View Post
    As for off-frequency, the truckers said it sounded like I was on 18 or 20, wasn't coming in to clear on 19, sounded more like I was bleeding into 19, but not actually on it
    Its most likely your antenna being a hunk of junk, and thats why... I hate to put it like that (just return the antenna, I don't want you to waste your money on such a product).

Normally a stock 4-watt radio will not bleed-over channels (is it possible: yes). Also radios don't normally fall-out-of-tune... think of your car radio... (is it possible: yes). Again, its most likely just your antenna though.

Having a junk-antenna with a high SWR ratio can absolutely kill your RX/TX. And Id bet thats your issue... also if you TX too much with a high SWR number you can 'blow-out' aka: ruin your radio!

If I was you I would pick up a Wilson Little Wil (~$30)... or even a 500/1k for an exponential improvement over what you have now.

You don't 'tune' the radio, you just 'tune' the antenna, using an SWR meter. In other words, you clips off 1/4inch sections of the antenna and try to get your SWR's down that way.

*Note on some higher-end radios... I have one, you can 'tune' or change the freq of the radio for SSB use.*

Street Lawyer

Its most likely your antenna being a hunk of junk, and thats why... I hate to put it like that (just return the antenna, I don't want you to waste your money on such a product).

Normally a stock 4-watt radio will not bleed-over channels (is it possible: yes). Also radios don't normally fall-out-of-tune... think of your car radio... (is it possible: yes). Again, its most likely just your antenna though.

Having a junk-antenna with a high SWR ratio can absolutely kill your RX/TX. And Id bet thats your issue... also if you TX too much with a high SWR number you can 'blow-out' aka: ruin your radio!

If I was you I would pick up a Wilson Little Wil (~$30)... or even a 500/1k for an exponential improvement over what you have now.

You don't 'tune' the radio, you just 'tune' the antenna, using an SWR meter. In other words, you clips off 1/4inch sections of the antenna and try to get your SWR's down that way.

*Note on some higher-end radios... I have one, you can 'tune' or change the freq of the radio for SSB use.*

Yea on my old radio I could just tweak and peak it and get the SWRs right without messing w/ the antenna. I don't have an SWR meter any more either, so I'm just gonna invest in a lil wil and hope it helps, it's a $40 radio, it's not like my heart will be broken if I blow it out.

Yoda of Radar

^^^

Yeah, I think once you go with the little wil, you will see a jump in performance, and if you don't care about ruining the radio, the Lil' Wil should garner you some better results then the generic wally-world one for both RX/TX.

Generally the Wilsons are 'a bit long' from the factory... and as long as you only TX on 19, they normally are in the 'acceptable' category for SWR's. (Under 2 is 'ok' for the most part with a stock radio).

If you don't TX at all, you won't hurt your radio, so that would be my suggestion until you can check your SWR's... your performance (even with RX) may not be as great, but its better then nothing.

AS for your old CB unit... I am not sure what you mean by 'peak and tweak it' to get the SWR numbers correctly, since SWR numbers generally refer to the antenna end of a CB set-up anyways... In other words SWR numbers are not a 'property' of the CB, but rather the antenna and co-ax so I am not sure how you accomplished changing your SWR numbers via your CB on your old unit? Admittedly though... your CB was most likely before my time, so I am not sure what you could do with older CB's?
    Last edited by AirMoore; 03-11-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Power User

I have a $40 Cobra, as do a lot of folks. I'd guess there is something wrong with your antenna. Spend the $$ on a good coax and a good antenna and have the SWR adjusted.

Most Pilot truck stops along the interstate have a $10 SWR meter as well as some decent antennas.

Good luck and don't give up! Mine saved me twice today!

Street Lawyer

^^^

Yeah, I think once you go with the little wil, you will see a jump in performance, and if you don't care about ruining the radio, the Lil' Wil should garner you some better results then the generic wally-world one for both RX/TX.

Generally the Wilsons are 'a bit long' from the factory... and as long as you only TX on 19, they normally are in the 'acceptable' category for SWR's. (Under 2 is 'ok' for the most part with a stock radio).

If you don't TX at all, you won't hurt your radio, so that would be my suggestion until you can check your SWR's... your performance (even with RX) may not be as great, but its better then nothing.

AS for your old CB unit... I am not sure what you mean by 'peak and tweak it' to get the SWR numbers correctly, since SWR numbers generally refer to the antenna end of a CB set-up anyways... In other words SWR numbers are not a 'property' of the CB, but rather the antenna and co-ax so I am not sure how you accomplished changing your SWR numbers via your CB on your old unit? Admittedly though... your CB was most likely before my time, so I am not sure what you could do with older CB's?
    The CB I had had an SWR meter on it, and it had a calibration potentiometer, by putting the SWR meter on and holding down the mic, I could calibrate the radio to force the SWRs down without re-adjusting the antenna.

Street Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by srtga View Post
    I have a $40 Cobra, as do a lot of folks. I'd guess there is something wrong with your antenna. Spend the $$ on a good coax and a good antenna and have the SWR adjusted.

Most Pilot truck stops along the interstate have a $10 SWR meter as well as some decent antennas.

Good luck and don't give up! Mine saved me twice today!
    Word, I've already convinced the wife, just gotta wait until monday to get paid, I'm also getting an $80 14v cordless drill set from wally world to finally mount my blinders!!! Once I get everything wired up I'm gonna take pics of my entire car set up, it's pretty slick right now.