Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanner for NJ

Experienced

Default Scanner for NJ

Im getting ready to add a scanner to my countermeasures but im not sure which to get. I was leaning on the Uniden bearcat BC246T but what would that cover? Would i have to get a digital scanner?

Old Timer

Default Re: Scanner for NJ

i own the BC246T and it is great...picks up NJSP fine and local towns no problem i love it

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by rockets713 View Post
    Im getting ready to add a scanner to my countermeasures but im not sure which to get. I was leaning on the Uniden bearcat BC246T but what would that cover? Would i have to get a digital scanner?
    Well, I haven't looked at RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference for your area, but if you can, please send us a link to the area you want to scan to see if you need a trunking scanner.

Also, do you live in a big city? If you do, a Scanner for countermeasures is probably not going to help. However, if you live in a small city or town (such as me, 22,000 pop.), then it MAY help. For me, it just lets me know if the cops are in a certain area due to a major call. They still don't say when they are going to park somewhere and clock.

I am sure Stealth_Stalker will come with his "words of wisdom" as well.

Experienced

well i travel between counties....i live in bergen county on the weekends and the town i live in is small...i dont think its even a mile long. During the week i stay in middlesex county and i travel everyday in union county were i got to school.

Good Citizen

well i travel between counties....i live in bergen county on the weekends and the town i live in is small...i dont think its even a mile long. During the week i stay in middlesex county and i travel everyday in union county were i got to school.
    Ok, well there are basically three types of scanners.

The First type is conventional scanner. They usually only go up to 512MHz. As cheap as $100 (no sales)

The Second is an analog trunk tracker. You will mostly likely have to get this one even if you don't want to listen to trunking systems, because a lot of simplex frequencies in your area are in the 512+Mhz. As cheap as $180 (no sales)

The Third is a digital trunk tracker. Same as analog but can decode the digital systems. VERY EXPENSIVE. probably $400-$500.

This is the Bergen County frequencies
    Bergen County, New Jersey (NJ) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

This is Middlesex County:
    http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1782

This is Union County:
    Union County, New Jersey (NJ) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Like I said, I don't know what towns/cities you want to listen to. You can tell me if you like.
    What I really want you to do is to scroll down to the bottoms of those pages, where it says trunking systems. I want you to tell me which ones you want to listen to so I can tell you if you need to get an analog or digital trunking scanner.
    Last edited by linkinpark9812; 03-21-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by linkinpark9812 View Post
    Ok, well there are basically three types of scanners.

The First type is conventional scanner. They usually only go up to 512MHz. As cheap as $100 (no sales)

The Second is an analog trunk tracker. You will mostly likely have to get this one even if you don't want to listen to trunking systems, because a lot of simplex frequencies in your area are in the 512+Mhz. As cheap as $180 (no sales)

The Third is a digital trunk tracker. Same as analog but can decode the digital systems. VERY EXPENSIVE. probably $400-$500.

This is the Bergen County frequencies
    Bergen County, New Jersey (NJ) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

This is Middlesex County:
    http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1782

This is Union County:
    Union County, New Jersey (NJ) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Like I said, I don't know what towns/cities you want to listen to. You can tell me if you like.
    What I really want you to do is to scroll down to the bottoms of those pages, where it says trunking systems. I want you to tell me which ones you want to listen to so I can tell you if you need to get an analog or digital trunking scanner.
    Bergen County Police
    Union County
    State of NJ Troop B North
    Middelsex County
    State of NJ Troop C Central

These are some

Good Citizen

Bergen County Police
    Union County
    State of NJ Troop B North
    Middelsex County
    State of NJ Troop C Central

These are some
    Well just by looking at the first one (Bergen County Police), you will need to get a digital scanner. I would recommend the Pro-106 (handheld) which is the newest digital model RadioShack offers, and has been praised about.

PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com

It is $500 regular price, however, they usually have a sale once a month or so that takes it down to $400 instantly, so I would wait till it is on sale. Around Christmas last year, it was taken down to $300, but I have never seen it that low since.

EDIT: It is on sale now until March 28th for $399.99

Experienced

thanks

Power User

...the town i live in is small...i dont think its even a mile long.
    Branchville might give your town a run for its money at 0.6 square miles.

Branchville, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by FoolishOne View Post
    Branchville might give your town a run for its money at 0.6 square miles.

Branchville, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    wow yea that is pretty small

Im having a hard time deciding which digital scanner to get. What do you guys think the Uniden BCD396T or the Radio shack Pro 106