Professional

Default "Radio Operator" Car?

I saw a car on campus today, with what seemed like 2 CB antennas mounted on trunk lip mounts on the sides of the trunk.

While I was parking, I thought they were just co-phased CB antennas, and was presently surprised that there was another 4-wheeler with a CB antenna (apart from me)

But when I went closer, I noticed the two antennas weren't the same. He also had a "radio operator" on his license plates.

You guys have any idea what this setup is about?
    Last edited by chriskohtc; 08-09-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: "Radio Operator" Car?

It's a Ham Radio Operator. The plate numbers are his Ham licence call letters.

The antenna on the left is probably a 70cm (440 mHz UHF) band antenna, and the one on the right is probably a 2m (140 mHz VHF) band antenna. Most people who are Hams would not be caught dead with a CB radio.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

snoopyc4

ive seen a radio operator drivin an blue impala once. thought it was a LEO for sec
    Last edited by snoopyc4; 05-12-2009 at 12:17 PM.

snoopyc4

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Most people who are Hams would not be caught dead with a CB radio.

Radar Fanatic

That's only part of the reason I don't get caught

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    That's only part of the reason I don't get caught
    Counter-measures wise, is a HAM radio any use?

I know a few friends who took the HAM radio test. I wonder how "fun" or rewarding of a hobby HAM radio is.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by chriskohtc View Post
    Counter-measures wise, is a HAM radio any use?
    None. Most of them are law and order geeks who would rather call the cops on you than help you avoid them.

I know a few friends who took the HAM radio test. I wonder how "fun" or rewarding of a hobby HAM radio is.
    It's the same thing as CB jabbering, but with less noise and more people to talk to. If that sounds thrilling to you, then go for it. You pretty well have to be a serious techno geek to really get into it though, which involves a lot of studying for the advanced tests, and a lot of money on expensive equipment to do any serious, long distance (international) talking.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Newcomer

I actually have the license and have been talking on the ham bands for quite sometime. In the beginning it was fun to talk everyone who was around the city and uses the repeaters. After a few months things went south and people start to not like you for whatever reasons and you develop enemys over the radio. When this happens people jam you when you try to use the repeater and what not and people talk **** about you behind your back, other hams call you and talk **** about other people on the air, its really pathetic. Oh yeah, if you voice your opinion about a topic everyone is for, people get offended. All in all, unless you have some friends who are willing to get in it with you, don't bother unless you can put up with the garbage. The only thing I liked about it is you can talk city and state wide depending what repeater you use and have crystal clear UHF FM or VHF depending where you are, communications and there is no garbage from the CB bands. I would be more active on different machines but I've yet to meet some cool people. Besides everyone on it has like no life and is like 50 years old.