Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skythumper mic

Power User

Default Skythumper mic

I've been running one of these for a couple of weeks and the reports from other drivers have been really favorable.

Normally when I get a radio check or ask how it sounds I just get "It's workin'" or "Sounds good", but since changing mics I've had stuff like "that's a fine sounding radio" and folks'll ask what I'm running.

Kinda goofy but I think it's cool...

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Skythumper mic

I hear nothing but good things about the Skythumper. I'm going to ask my CB guy if he can wire Skythumper guts into a Motorola microphone housing.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    I hear nothing but good things about the Skythumper. I'm going to ask my CB guy if he can wire Skythumper guts into a Motorola microphone housing.
    Yea, the switch arrangement is different with the "thumb button".
    Pretty old school vibe!

Do you just want it to match your old Motorola or does the switch position bother you?

Professional

I've heard some guys come on with big radios that sounds really good for radio checks just get the usual "It's workin driver" for a matter of fact 99% of all radio checks I think get a simple "It's workin", at least around here .

Radar Fanatic

Better Clear than LOUD, but loud and clear is always good

It's details like that, that make it so when you get on the radio people are gonna respond to you. Nobdy wants to talk to the garbled gunk.

Radar Fanatic

Mics can make a big difference, for sure. When I went from my Uniden stock mic to an Astatic D104M6B, reports from the locals were really favorable.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by srtga View Post
    Do you just want it to match your old Motorola or does the switch position bother you?
    Honestly, I didn't know that the Skythumper had a weird switch. I can't find any photo of it online that shows it clearly. I just want to maintain a stock Motorola appearance. Have you got a good pic of the Skythumper than you can post?

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Power User

Here's a pic I stole of a roadking. The ST is a knockoff of this:

My bro in law loaned me a vintage RK mic and the ST is identical on the outside and the build quality seems solid. I read a few reviews that said it was flimsy and light feeling but I can't imagine what they were comparing it to.

You can see where the PTT switch is. You just use your thumb instead of your fingers.

Yoda of Radar

I see two switches, not one. Which is which?

As most professionals do, I hold the mic from the front, not the rear. Which button would I be pushing?

Power User

I'm an ex-pro and I use a mic the way you describe. This mic doesn't really lend itself to holding like that. Here's a better pic: I think the "2nd button" is the end of the cord.

I posted the other pic because it shows the raised grill better. Since you use different radios You'd probably be fumbling with this design.

I haven't habitually used 2 ways in years so I didn't have much trouble adapting to it although I found myself positioning it backwards at first.

Would be cool putting the guts in your housing!
    Last edited by srtga; 06-03-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: ...