Power User

Default Are CB's getting more popular?

This is the first time I've fooled with them and I can't say that I've ever known anyone outside of trucking that had one in a car.

I never would have considered one if I hadn't run up on them on the web. Seems a lot of folks have them or are considering them.

I rarely run into any other cars using them. Maybe the occasional PU but not many cars.

Just weird the way the internet seems to be keeping the CB alive...

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Are CB's getting more popular?

Quote Originally Posted by srtga View Post
    This is the first time I've fooled with them and I can't say that I've ever known anyone outside of trucking that had one in a car.

I never would have considered one if I hadn't run up on them on the web. Seems a lot of folks have them or are considering them.

I rarely run into any other cars using them. Maybe the occasional PU but not many cars.

Just weird the way the internet seems to be keeping the CB alive...
    I've come across quite a few cars with them, in very rural areas. I log a few hundred freeway miles per week I usually see a couple of road trippers with temporary setups but yes CB is mostly a truckers world. I also know some areas where CB has taken a heay base station and hopped up amps filling CH19 with babble crap following.

Its short range radio, its popularity varies with your locale.

I also think that 13% of drivers own a RD of them 50% use a good RD of them 75% use that RD regularly of that group 1% are on forums of that group 1% are regularly using RD.net of that group 10% of us even have CBs.

I'm ll for having rabbits to talk to though

Power User

I think one reason they became so popular in the 70's was the 55mph mandated US speed limit. After it was lifted, popularity seemed to drop off.

Newcomer

I keep debating on getting one. I just don't like the Antennas, And the low profile fin type I've seen are to expensive compared with whip. It would just stupid on my car

if I owned a van, pick up whatever it wouldn't bother me so much

thinking of terms of cosmetics here.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by xsmatt81 View Post
    I keep debating on getting one. I just don't like the Antennas, And the low profile fin type I've seen are to expensive compared with whip. It would just stupid on my car

How's a cruiser parked behind your car, lights flashing on the shoulder as you get a ticket for that I/O burst fit into things cosmetically?

I'll take a 3ft lil will thin metal whip that's invisible from 20ft for looks over that any day, but that's just me. Lil Wil $28-60 Antennex CB27 $27-35 Maxrad equivalent $25-40

Legal in 41 States

I oddly see a lot of them on cars around Champaign, but not so much as I work my way north to Chicago. On the highways it's mainly only semis, redneck pickups, and me.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post

How's a cruiser parked behind your car, lights flashing on the shoulder as you get a ticket for that I/O burst fit into things cosmetically?
    The point of the game is to get lucky all the time and use as many tools as possible to help you along the way...

Yoda of Radar

I just don't like the Antennas, And the low profile fin type I've seen are to expensive compared with whip. It would just stupid on my car.
    Sitting on the side of the highway getting a ticket looks pretty stupid too.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by REBinc View Post
    On the highways it's mainly only semis, redneck pickups, and me.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Sitting on the side of the highway getting a ticket looks pretty stupid too.
    Sitting there still watching all those people you flew by at +15-20mph poke by you will change anyone's mind.

Although catching up to them again is fun...just not the left lane hog who doesn't want to let you pass...again.