Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best Scanner?

Good Citizen

Default best Scanner?

Hello,

I am new to the whole scanner thing, but it seems interesting to be able to listen in on the chatter of police/ems/fire. What's the best scanner that doesn't require any vehicular installation, but with great clarity and reception.

Thanks!

Founder of Stealthvation

Default Re: best Scanner?

Radio Shack Pro 106

Radar Fanatic

Depends where you are, what systems are used in your area how involved with programming you're willing to get.

It's sounds like you're looking for a handheld but the Mobile radios are also incredibly easy to setup as desktop scanners, just put the pads on the metal, hook up the wall adapter instead of the 12v hook up the antenna and program it...no screws required. Is that what you'd like or do you want a handheld?

The handhelds tend to have smaller memory banks, which may present an issue should you live in an area where everything is on a digitally trunked system.

Which is best, is a pretty open ended question around here...
    Last edited by Motor On; 06-17-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    Depends where you are, what systems are used in your area how involved with programming you're willing to get.
    Yep. We need to know a whole lot more information before we can even begin to address that question. Read the Scanner FAQ at the top of this section, then get back to us.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

uhhh... hahaha I'm not really sure. But I mainly drive in TN, VA, and Washington DC? If that helps or anything. I was thinking a handset would probably be the best since I can just bring it out whenever I decide I want to listen to them (I mean it doesn't have to be a handset, I just want it so it doesn't require any installation, and easily to just pop out of my car if I don't want it.) I guess the best handheld? Best nondigital handheld?

btw, I am guessing you guys have CB or Scanners, how is it? haha is it fun listening to them talk?

I looked at the Pro 106. God it's 500 DOLLARS?

can I revise what I meant by Best scanner. Best scanner under 300 dollars?
    Last edited by DarkChewby; 06-15-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by DarkChewby View Post
    can I revise what I meant by Best scanner. Best scanner under 300 dollars?
    The best non-digital is well under 300 dollars.

Uniden Bearcat BC346XT Police Scanner Radio Radio

But I guarantee you that you won't keep it for more than two weeks before you sell it on eBay because it is simply way too complicated for the beginner who isn't totally committed to getting hardcore into scanning.

You see, "best" doesn't mean the same thing in scanners that it does in CB radios. Best doesn't mean it receives better than one half the price. It means it has more complex features for the advanced scannist. Stuff that you will never use or understand if you're just interested in casual listening. So don't get hung up on what the "best" scanner is.

The next best is only slightly cheaper, but much less complicated.

Uniden Bearcat BC246T Police Scanner Radio

It has the three features that I think are important for anyone, even the beginner: Alpha tagging, Trunk Tracking, and CTCSS decoding. Those things make programming a little more difficult than in a $100 dollar scanner, but they make keeping up with what you are listening to much easier.

uhhh... hahaha I'm not really sure. But I mainly drive in TN, VA, and Washington DC?
    Those are entire states. I'm not going to spend the next six weeks looking up every community in three states for you. As mentioned in the FAQ, we need to know EXACTLY what, where, and whom you want to listen to, and why you want to listen to them. Without that information, we can't help you. What you need is going to vary greatly from area to area.

haha is it fun listening to them talk?
    That's like asking if playing chess is fun. It's fun if you're into it. But to 99 percent of all people, it's boring and confusing and pointless. I enjoy it because I like knowing what's going to be on the news before the news even airs. If you're a hardcore news addict, you'll probably like it. If you're a cop or firemonkey wannabe, it'll give you wood. But otherwise, I'd agree that it's boring, confusing, and pointless.

I looked at the Pro 106. God it's 500 DOLLARS?
    All digital scanners are going to be at least $500 dollars. You asked for the best, so that's what he recommended for you. Everything in DC is digital, so if that is something you want to listen to, your going to have to start saving your pennies.

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

That's helpful, Thanks

hmm... I am guessing I just want to listen to the police. I read the faq and you said it was a worthless countermeasure. Don't they talk about traffic conditions, accidents, etc.?

Yoda of Radar

Don't they talk about traffic conditions, accidents, etc.?
    Sure, in between talking about barking dogs, loud parties, passed out drunks, shoplifters, panhandlers, runaway kids, parking violations, neighbourhood feuds, and a million other boring things that you won't understand. You'll get tired of the noise and turn it off long before you begin to understand it, and way, way before you ever get any useful info out of it. That's assuming you learn to program the scanner without giving up.

Good Citizen

hahaha... ok ok Stealth. I got your point! hahahaha
    I am not going to buy one.

Experienced

hmm... I am guessing I just want to listen to the police. I read the faq and you said it was a worthless countermeasure. Don't they talk about traffic conditions, accidents, etc.?
    Before you spend money on a scanner, you might want to take a listen to an online stream of a scanner to get an idea of what you'd be hearing.

Tennessee Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners
    Virginia Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners