Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Default Downgraded Cobra 25 to Uniden 510, made no-holes bracket

A few months ago I picked up a Cobra 25 to replace my Cobra 19 for two reasons, better RF noise filtering and to have a more effective radio when asking for information. It satisfied both needs, but this is the only place I could realistically mount it...

It was easy to control there and kept the mic out of the way, but I had to be diligent about putting up the windshield sun shade once summer came or it would be too hot to touch after a few minutes. It also felt like I was always leaving a $100 bill on the dashboard, and the aesthetics are obviously... poor.

In search of a stealthier installation I picked up a Uniden 510 because I remember seeing it at a truck stop and being impressed at how thin it was. My plan was to simply stuff it between the driver's seat and the center console. It fit there, but it pushed up on the side bolster which I could feel in my ass. I considered mounting it under the steering wheel, but that would have the problems of getting in my way when I enter and exit the car and I would have to reach forward and under the wheel to control it.

After holding it in different places, I figured the best place for it would be attached to the center console under my right leg. I didn't want to drill any more holes in expensive trim pieces, so I came up with a bracket that uses the stock screws that hold the console in place.

Please pardon my craftsmanship. I'm not very skilled, but I usually get the job done.

I'm not much of a photographer either. This is where it attaches to the front screw.

...and the rear. This is usually hidden by the seat.

View from the driver's seat, also showing Uniden ESP-5 external speaker. IMO, an external speaker is essential with these little radios because with the internal speakers I can barely understand conversations that aren't coming in strong.

I'm pretty happy with it. It seems to have a much more effective automatic noise limiter than the Cobra 19, which cuts down greatly on the ignition noise and makes it easier to set the squelch. I don't really talk on the radio much, so I don't know how it does there, but I did get a Workman DM-452 power/echo microphone to replace the dinky little POS it comes with. I know it won't get out as far as my peaked and tuned Cobra 25 with an upgraded final, but I realized that I don't talk on the radio enough to really need it. I'll keep the Cobra for if I get another vehicle that has a reasonable place to mount it.
    Last edited by supercowpowers; 06-29-2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: clarified "Cobra" to "Cobra 25"

Power User

Default Re: Downgraded Cobra 25 to Uniden 510, made no-holes bracket

That looks like a much more workable solution!

I don't know if I'd call it a "downgrade". The Uniden is a nice little radio!

Newcomer

I like the location - nice and convenient without getting in the way.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by slg View Post
    I like the location - nice and convenient without getting in the way.
    That's right. It doesn't bother me at all. Maybe a driver with shorter legs would have issues, but it's my car.

Quote Originally Posted by srtga
    I don't know if I'd call it a "downgrade". The Uniden is a nice little radio!
    Well, the Cobra was worked over and would swing to an honest 40 watts as shown on my swr/power meter and the fancy computerized diagnostic thing at the CB shop. The Uniden has never been opened.

The 25 and the Uniden both receive about the same, which at the end of the day is what really counts.

Yoda of Radar

Another thing you can do is use the bracket and use 3M molding (mounting) tape.

That is how my 510 is attached, with its stock bracket, but the 3M instead of screws. Been rock solid... including when people kick their feet into it and the seat can smash into it for rear-seat passengers... its held up for over a year now.

Just another idea...

PS: I also mount my Galaxy 959 where you mount your 25, except only for 'longer' trips... AKA 150+ Miles

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post
    Another thing you can do is use the bracket and use 3M molding (mounting) tape.

That is how my 510 is attached, with its stock bracket, but the 3M instead of screws. Been rock solid... including when people kick their feet into it and the seat can smash into it for rear-seat passengers... its held up for over a year now.

Just another idea...

PS: I also mount my Galaxy 959 where you mount your 25, except only for 'longer' trips... AKA 150+ Miles
    Yeah, the last vehicle I had I hung a Cobra 19 on the inside of a little storage area in the console with the superlock stuff. That worked well, but it was on smooth plastic. I've tried using it on that textured plastic and it just doesn't seem to do to the job.

I was thinking of replacing the storage bin/lid assembly I drilled into for the Cobra 25, but according to the shop manual it requires removing the entire center console so I can remove the plastic around the radio and vents so I can access the one (!) screw that holds it on. For that much effort, I'll keep it for if I do ever take an epic trip where a nicer radio would be helpful and fix it when I go to sell or trade.

Professional

I like the location better. Not having it on the dash just waving to thieves.

Very creative mounting. I would never think of something like that.