Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default If a handheld CB was your only choice...which one?

Some of us have multiple vehicles. I have a vette that is my DD and gets parked in the garage. My old Tahoe sits outside. I use both for trips, depending on if Im towing the boat or whatever.

So my problem is I cant mount a CB in the truck because it sits outside and would get stolen. I cant mount it in the Vette, because well , its a Vette and there isnt much room......not to mention with a plastic body and no bumpers, there is no good place to mount the antenna.(yeah the license plate bracket deal maybe)

So even though handhelds seem to suck, I need to know what is the best of the best in the handheld CB world.

Before people say dont bother, blah blah, etc., I already know they are not that great. I just want to know what is the best and maybe an external antenna could be added for a boost.

Power User

Default Re: If a handheld CB was your only choice...which one?

I've never used one so I can't give an assessment but...

Truckers are going to give you most, if not, all of your info. and they run powerful radios with good antennas so it may be worth a shot. Not sure if you're going to be able to transmit with any success though...

Get one and let us know!

Professional

I would reccomend the cobra 75 wxst which is all in the mic system you stow away the control box in the dash somewhere. You can buy the control box for 30 bucks so put one box and each car and buy two little wil and I think you will be happuy with that

Radar Fanatic

I'd say don't get a CB, get a cheap scanner (same or cheaper than most handheld CBs) that covers CB and figure out an external antenna for each vehicle

Get a radio shack scanner antenna for the vette and a mag mount antenna for the tahoe. Antenna size won't matter anywhere near as much for receive and the external will pull in much better giving you a competing chance of a save

Or get a pair of cobra 19s for $40 a piece and mount them under seats so they're out of sight out of mind of crooks. CB glass antenna for the vette (its tunable) and a lil wil or wilson 1k on the tahoe that you can easily hide when parked for more of the out of sight out of mind)

Latter is better but mrginally more expensive

And a cobra 19 from walmart is 3 knobs and two buttons....but after you set it the first time its small squelch and volume adjustments so it'd be extremely easy to memorize and do by touch without having to look or see.

Yoda of Radar

I second the recommendations of the Cobra 75, or something like the Cobra 19 that can be tucked away. ANYTHING but a handheld. Not even worth looking at.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Street Lawyer

<=- AS PER MY HANDLE THE RatShack TRC-225 ROCKED!

Lead Foot

What do you guys think about this?
    It looks like it can be a handheld with batteries and can convert into plugged in with external antenna. Plus its tweaked (gotta read what they do).

The Midland 75-822 SMALL CB Radio BRAND NEW w/mods - eBay (item 140268453229 end time Jul-15-09 17:00:12 PDT)

I once had a Cobra wx-38 or something and it sucked donkey balls. Just threw it in the garbage the other day.

Yoda of Radar

They all suck donkey ballz.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by gpracer1 View Post
    What do you guys think about this?
    It looks like it can be a handheld with batteries and can convert into plugged in with external antenna. Plus its tweaked (gotta read what they do).

The Midland 75-822 SMALL CB Radio BRAND NEW w/mods - eBay (item 140268453229 end time Jul-15-09 17:00:12 PDT)

I once had a Cobra wx-38 or something and it sucked donkey balls. Just threw it in the garbage the other day.
    How do you know for sure that its tweaked? I only go through reputable radio shops.

If I needed a handheld I would purchase the 75-822 due to the easy of use to attach a good antenna

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

External antenna and its OK otherwise get mouth wash for the donkey balls.