I will be driving through the interesting states of OH and NY in a little under a month, and am seeking to buy a CB and antenna for the logical reasons. I'd like some advice for the following criteria:
1) Budget can be $250-300, maybe a little more if needed.
2) I'm really not an electrical engineer, so I'm looking to get as much stuff as possible in one place (if I can order the peaking, SWR antenna tuning, etc.), that'd be good.
3) Could care less about aesthetics
4) Antenna is gonna be a magnet mount. Not drilling anything into my roof.
5) Will pay for good voice clarity on the radio, to the extent possible.
I'm going to hardwire my radar detector later this month and based on that will see if I feel up to installing the radio or would rather pay someone else for their time.
Currently I'm leaning towards a Wilson 5000 as an antenna ($80-90), and for the radio, Galaxy DX 959 or TRE 936. The Galaxy claims to have an integrated SWR meter which is probably encouraging in that it won't be fried. Any comments on those two or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.