Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Comparison of Uniden BCT12 versus BCT8

Has anyone tried both of these products recently? I ask because I am thinking about upgrading my BCT12 to a BCT8 mostly to get some updated frequencies and listen to CB channel 19. The one thing that I will miss is the signal strength meter on the beartracker warning system which the BCT8 does not have. I usually ignore alerts that come in at only "1" or have a decreasing signal strength. I have an external antenna on my car that drastically improved my signal reception (maybe a little too much.) I would especially like to hear from someone who drives through the mid-Atlantic and Northeastern states.

Banned

Default blinder laser jammer

The BCT series is awesome! I have used one and it has saved me 2 times. I don't use them to detect police officers on the road. I use them to detect air patrol!!!! Air patrol uses a specific frequency when it radios down to the patrol officer which car to nab. Hopefully, like a radar detector, you will capture the "radio in" on the car ahead of you 2 miles out. Once the frequency is detected an audio alert goes off and then you can hear the transmission.

It surprises me that radar roy doesn't carry these. Why Roy?

Chris

www.laserjammertests.com

Speed Demon

That signal feature is not what you think it is. Its a show the signal strength coming from the tower not the partrol vechile. Basicly all it does is. Is when the officer is away from his car. He keys up his handheld radio and it repeats over his mobile radio in his car. So if the officer isnt talking on his handheld its not going to trip the that alert feature on the bct 8,10,12.

Those are very old radio scanners most cops are on digital.

Newcomer

Default BearTracker

Quote Originally Posted by raresvx
    That signal feature is not what you think it is. Its a show the signal strength coming from the tower not the partrol vechile. Basicly all it does is. Is when the officer is away from his car. He keys up his handheld radio and it repeats over his mobile radio in his car. So if the officer isnt talking on his handheld its not going to trip the that alert feature on the bct 8,10,12.

Those are very old radio scanners most cops are on digital.
    Hi guys, sorry for bringing up an old thread. In any case, I just ordered the BCT 8, and I was curious if the "800 MHz TrunkTracker" meant "digital". In Calgary our police are all on digital, so I was just checking. I purchased a few things off Roy awhile ago including a couple of Bell RX65's.

Advanced Member

Default Re: BearTracker

Quote Originally Posted by gsti
    Hi guys, sorry for bringing up an old thread. In any case, I just ordered the BCT 8, and I was curious if the "800 MHz TrunkTracker" meant "digital".
    No, if it was digital you would probably have paid $400-$500 for it. Only a few Uniden and Radioshack models are digital, the BCT-8 isn't one of them...

Jim

Newcomer

What's the smallest digital available then? Do you really need digital if all you want to do is detect police near you? That being said, which is better the BCT8 or 12?

I wonder why Uniden stopped making them.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by gsti
    What's the smallest digital available then? Do you really need digital if all you want to do is detect police near you? That being said, which is better the BCT8 or 12?

I wonder why Uniden stopped making them.
    The smallest digital would be one of the Uniden/Radiosack handhelds.
    You don't need a digital scanner for "Highway Patrol Alert" in the BCT's, since it just detects the presece of signal. You only need a digital scanner if the police in the area you are driving has a digital radio system, AND you want to be able to listen to what they are saying.

The BCT-8 is better because it is newer than the BCT-12 and has all of the frequencies updated. The BCT-12 can still be useful in some states that haven't changed frequencies or radio systems recently.

Uniden only stopped making the older BCT-12. The BCT-8 is the current model.

Jim

Newcomer

Thanks Jim. I think in Calgary they are using all digital, so the scanning might be useless. According to Uniden the BC-8 is the only model with "Beartracking". So I guess buying the digital might be useless to me anyways?

Thanks again.

Experienced

Not exactly, Uniden's more advaced units like BC7xx series have features that alert you to transmissions, just they are not limited to highway patrol, instead you can set them up to alert you to a transmission on any channel/frequency you like. "Beartracking" is just a preprogrammed function for people who don't want to be bothered with more advance scanner usage.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Nothegger
    Not exactly, Uniden's more advaced units like BC7xx series have features that alert you to transmissions, just they are not limited to highway patrol, instead you can set them up to alert you to a transmission on any channel/frequency you like. "Beartracking" is just a preprogrammed function for people who don't want to be bothered with more advance scanner usage.
    So that being said, if I live in a city who's on digital the BCT-8 is a waste of money?