Power User

Default good mobile VHF antenna

I'm using a RS through the glass scanner antenna and I guess it works OK but I'm missing a lot of traffic. What would be a good mobile NMO mount antenna for around 150 mhz?

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: good mobile VHF antenna

Any antenna that is cut for the specific bandwidth you are monitoring will show a huge difference over an all-band antenna. Especially if it is a ground plane antenna, and not a through-glass. You would most likely be able to get by with something as simple as a cheap quarter-wave, unity gain whip that is about 18 inches long. If UHF and higher frequencies are also a concern, then the Holy Grail would be a quality dual-band antenna like the Maxrad 5/8 wave. Probably your best bet would be what I use, which is a dual band (UHF 70cm/VHF 2m) Ham antenna, which are readily available everywhere at reasonable prices. They do quite well on the public safety bands, and are available in a greater variety of styles than commercial antennae.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Power User

Thanks! I'm just monitoring PS freqs. on the mobile. I pick up a lot of traffic but a lot of times I can hear the car talking to dispatch and can't pick up dispatch or the other way around.

I was goung to do a permanent trunk mount. Any specific antenna you could recommend?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by srtga View Post
    Any specific antenna you could recommend?
    If all out performance is your primary goal, then the one I linked is about as good as it gets. Although, you'd get similar performance from a comparable Ham antenna. I have both the above antenna and the ANLI AT-2 ham antenna, which I think is a particularly good choice. It performs comparable to the Maxrad, but is much more compact and aesthetically pleasing on a passenger car.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Radar Fanatic

My Comet SBB-2 NMO attached to my Yaesu Ham radio beats out the scanner on clarity and range of reception every single time. Ham radios are also known for being a little better for FM monitoring than scanners, generally speaking.