Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Is it common to not need anything trimmed from a Lil Wil?

When I picked up my Lil Wil from the CB shop yesterday, he had me put it on the vehicle, connected the meter and about 30 seconds later said "It's good right there" so I said "We don't need to trim it?" Him, "Nope".

So is this common or did he just not want to fool with it? It's a pretty reputable place. Been around for years. Just want to be sure.

Also, when he tuned it, it was in the center of the vehicle. After I installed everything it had to move toward the rear almost 2 feet to reach the radio. Is this significant enough that I should have him tune again?

Sorry to be such a noob.

Professional

Default Re: Is it common to not need anything trimmed from a Lil Wil?

I would say yes retune as a couple inches on my truck produced significantly different SWR's

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by taylormade View Post
    When I picked up my Lil Wil from the CB shop yesterday, he had me put it on the vehicle, connected the meter and about 30 seconds later said "It's good right there" so I said "We don't need to trim it?" Him, "Nope".

So is this common or did he just not want to fool with it? It's a pretty reputable place. Been around for years. Just want to be sure.

Also, when he tuned it, it was in the center of the vehicle. After I installed everything it had to move toward the rear almost 2 feet to reach the radio. Is this significant enough that I should have him tune again?

Sorry to be such a noob.

1) It can happen though the antennas are normally a tiny bit long from the factory... for the simple fact that you can always trim more off... yet its hard to really add for the antenna.

Did he tell you the SWR numbers?

2)Yes changing the position can and will often change SWR ratios... ideally even when taking an antenna off and putting it back in the same place you should check the SWR numbers... especially if you make a significant move.

Top and center of vehicle is BESt (in general for mag-mount users).

Pick yourself up a small $10-$15 meter and test it... its a small price to pay compared to our other countermeasures.

Speed Demon

He uttered something about it's (undescernable & some numbers) He's an old guy and hard to warm up to conversation.

What should it be?

Yoda of Radar

Wait... if it didn't reach the radio, then how did he connect it to check SWRs?

Little changes in set-up can (but not always) make big differences in SWRs. The guy should know not to even bother checking them until the installation is complete.

I can't speak specifically to the Little Wil, but no, it is not unheard of or SWRs to be okay without trimming a new antenna.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Speed Demon

OK, just got back from having him recheck it. Still didn't trim anything. It was reading 1.2 on 19 and 1.0 on 21 and up.

I also discovered how to warm the ol coot up. I bought a PA speaker from him and that cracked him. Now he wants to sell me a Uniden PC68.

Professional

dont get yourself in trouble with that PA now

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    He used some digital meter that only connected to the antenna. You could go through the channels with it alone.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    He used some digital meter that only connected to the antenna. You could go through the channels with it alone.
    Are you sure the meter wasn't betwixt the CB and the antenna...

Basically he used a foot or 2 'jumper' to run from the radio to the meter, then from the meter to the antenna?

Like so:

Speed Demon

Nope, no connection to the cb at all. The first time it was still in the box. And yesterday I was in the vehicle with him. Only connected to the antenna.