Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Digital or Analogue?

I live in Toronto, Ontario. Could someone please tell me how to find out whether police/fire use digital or analogue. I am about to buy a police scanner and I want to pay about $600. But I have to know this first obviously.

Thank you.

ES13Raven

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    I am pretty sure OPP is mostly digital...
    <singing> You down wit OPP? Yeah, you know me!

ops:

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    I am pretty sure OPP is mostly digital...
    <singing> You down wit OPP? Yeah, you know me!

ops:
    i was doing the exact same thing

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Digital or Analogue?

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay_industries
    I live in Toronto, Ontario. Could someone please tell me how to find out whether police/fire use digital or analogue. I am about to buy a police scanner and I want to pay about $600. But I have to know this first obviously.

Thank you.
    Here you go my fellow Torontonian neighbor:

http://www.radioreference.com/module...me=RR&stid=109

If the link won't work just go to www.radioreference.com, click on the database (top menu), then choose Canada (USA is as default) and the rest is all yours :wink:

EVERYTHING IN ONTARIO IS MOSTLY DIGITAL (I MEAN POLICE)!!!

I myself am in the market for a DIGITAL scanner, right after Christmas (Boxing Week) I will buy a BCD396T, so far I've found 3 places that sell radio scanners in our area, Lakeshore Electronics ($900), RadioWorld ($850) and Durham Radio ($800), all canadian$ plus our 15% tax :x , do you know of any other place in our area that sells radio scanners?
    Best of Luck :wink:
    PS Big fan of Sainfeld, aren't you

Default Hey Warrior;

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't aware of any places in Toronto to buy scanners, but now, thanks to you, I can chack these ones out. I've been looking on ebay and I was going to buy the AOR AR 8200 for $599.99 US. But this model is Analogue, not digital.

Actually, there is a website that ships from Toronto that I know of:
    www.radioexport.ca

It kind of sucks though to have to buy a digital scanner. Now, if I travel out of Toronto, I won't be able to pick up Analogue areas, which the US seems to be full of.

Seinfeld rules!

Radar Fanatic

i was under the impression that digital signals are encrypted and cant be listened to......

http://www.rtnda.org/foi/scanner.shtml
    In many areas, however, police, fire and EMS units are moving to digital radio communications systems. Instead of sending analog signals over the airwaves, municipalities are sending digital signals over higher frequencies. The digital system converts the voice into tiny bits of data. All you'll hear when trying to pick up these transmissions with a normal scanner is a hiss. To listen to them, you need a digital scanner.

Digital scanners are expensive (while analog scanners run about $300, digital scanners cost more than 10 times that), and, from what I've heard, they're pretty much unavailable to reporters and scanner enthusiasts. The real rub, however, is that even if you get one, it's useless if the messages are encrypted. You need the police to give you the codes they use to program their radios before you can pick up their encrypted communications. Police and/or other emergency personnel may be willing to give you the code for some types of transmissions, but not for others, and they can "turn off" communications selectively.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by laserblaster
    i was under the impression that digital signals are encrypted and cant be listened to......

http://www.rtnda.org/foi/scanner.shtml
    In many areas, however, police, fire and EMS units are moving to digital radio communications systems. Instead of sending analog signals over the airwaves, municipalities are sending digital signals over higher frequencies. The digital system converts the voice into tiny bits of data. All you'll hear when trying to pick up these transmissions with a normal scanner is a hiss. To listen to them, you need a digital scanner.

Digital scanners are expensive (while analog scanners run about $300, digital scanners cost more than 10 times that), and, from what I've heard, they're pretty much unavailable to reporters and scanner enthusiasts. The real rub, however, is that even if you get one, it's useless if the messages are encrypted. You need the police to give you the codes they use to program their radios before you can pick up their encrypted communications. Police and/or other emergency personnel may be willing to give you the code for some types of transmissions, but not for others, and they can "turn off" communications selectively.
    In Ontario, as well as entire Canada, Industry Canada is in charge with regulating the use of DIGITAL scanners (for analog-only ones nobody is in charge of), Police has nothing to do with, the dealer you are buying from just asks you to sign a waiver form, you pay the unit and... happy digital/analog scanning :wink: Encrypted are only the INVESTIGATIVE divisions of PDs such as homicide, robbery, riot, terrorism, immigration, VIP protection, etc. But traffic, either OPP (in charge with all freeways across Ontario) or city cops are all either digital (mostly) or analog.
    Only few (little) stores sell such things, for instance in Greater Toronto Area (almost 5 mil people) only 3 (three) stores (very small) sell scanners... no idea why the big ones don't do it :roll:

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Hey Warrior;

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay_industries
    Thanks for the info.

I wasn't aware of any places in Toronto to buy scanners, but now, thanks to you, I can chack these ones out. I've been looking on ebay and I was going to buy the AOR AR 8200 for $599.99 US. But this model is Analogue, not digital.

Actually, there is a website that ships from Toronto that I know of:
    www.radioexport.ca

It kind of sucks though to have to buy a digital scanner. Now, if I travel out of Toronto, I won't be able to pick up Analogue areas, which the US seems to be full of.

Seinfeld rules!
    You're very welcome :wink:
    If you wanna buy the most modern unit as of today go for a BCD396T (handheld scanner), it's DIGITAL AND ANALOG and has a new feature called "Close call", it picksup all conversations from the nearest transmitters either is analog or digital so you don't have to worry about Toronto and Ontario (digital) or US (mostly analog)...
    Durham Radio (www.durhamradio.com), the cheapest ones so far in our area, are located in Whitby but you get free-shipping for orders over $300... I'm waiting for post-Christmas shopping rush maybe they will sell it cheaper than today, if not I will buy it anyway...
    I think I watched every Sainfeld episode dozens and dozens of times, now I'm into "Everybody Loves Raymond", too bad they put a stop on their 9-year great time