Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Default Can you help me out?

I am driving about 3000 miles a month now. I am thinking about getting a cb....any thoughts? Does it really help? It's been may years and I do mean many since I have used one. What channel do they use? Thanks.

Radar Fanatic

i used to have one, then took it out and sold it, but i just finished installing my new one . i just like having em. back when i had my old one it went on a few roadtrips with me, and they are definatly worth having. truckers will almost always announce when there is a leo present. i got the radio shack TRC-503 cuz its so compact and it fits perfectly in a little cubby hole in my dash, and im using a Midland window mount cb antenna. it seems to work pretty good. ill post pics of my install later. but i would say yes, defiantly get one if you going to be driving that amount, especially on Interstates.

Advanced Member

on my trips up to school it helps alot.

I have a basic uniden 510xl tuned and peaked great radio i love it i always get warning of "bears, smokie's, or DOTs" in some areas though you got to give alittle information to get some...If you travel on an interstate well traveled by trucks i'd go with a CB

I went all out on my antenna and got one that costed the same as my radio....but's it well worth the range

Ch 19 is what i monitor

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Yoda of Radar

Thanks guys. Last time I listened to one I couldn't even understand what they were saying.....I was little maybe that's why....

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by davekr
    Thanks guys. Last time I listened to one I couldn't even understand what they were saying.....I was little maybe that's why....
    Here is a link to help you with the lingo
    http://www.cbgazette.com/slang.html
    On the northeast i here, Bear, DOT, Kojak, smokey

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob

I have a basic uniden 510xl tuned and peaked great radio i love it i always get warning of "bears, smokie's, or DOTs" in some areas though you got to give alittle information to get some...If you travel on an interstate well traveled by trucks i'd go with a CB

I went all out on my antenna and got one that costed the same as my radio....but's it well worth the range

Ch 19 is what i monitor
    Hey Rob, can I use the BCD396T which I will buy it right after Christmas to listen to ch 19, besides the bear talk???
    Thanks

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Road Warrior

Ch 19 is what i monitor
    Hey Rob, can I use the BCD396T which I will buy it right after Christmas to listen to ch 19, besides the bear talk???
    Thanks
    Yeah you can just program in the frequency (27.185 MHz) however i have yet to find a scanner that can pick up CB frequencies good at all...

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Road Warrior

Ch 19 is what i monitor
    Thanks
    Yeah you can just program in the frequency (27.185 MHz) however i have yet to find a scanner that can pick up CB frequencies good at all...
    Thanks for reply Rob

But what do you mean by "i have yet to find a scanner that can pick up CB frequencies good at all", that's about the sound quality, or a lot of noise, or not pickingup all CB conversations, to understand why is better to have a scanner (4 cops) and a separate CB radio (4 truckers) :idea: I hate driving with long anthenas hanged by my car, I think every CB radio must have an anthenna outside, but maybe I'm wrong :roll:

Advanced Member

i have yet to find a scanner that is good enough to hear CB conversations.....I use to use my BC246t with an external 15" magnetic antenna and i still have trouble picking up conversations at any distance unless the CB is ampilfied........I am a bigger fan of just my plan CB radio and top of the line antenna...the range is amazing 1,000,000 times better than my scanner is at picking up the conversations...but thats what it's designed for

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

i have yet to find a scanner that is good enough to hear CB conversations.....I use to use my BC246t with an external 15" magnetic antenna and i still have trouble picking up conversations at any distance unless the CB is ampilfied........I am a bigger fan of just my plan CB radio and top of the line antenna...the range is amazing 1,000,000 times better than my scanner is at picking up the conversations...but thats what it's designed for
    crazyVOLVOrob I am just a big fan when some says good stuff about cb radios i my self am a big big :?:malldroper :wink: hooked up with a good little wil wison anttenna or a wilson 1000 or better yet a 5000 anyway real happy to know that u like your cb

carlito