Good Citizen

Default Son of a ... (CB install woes)

Went to figure out how to better mount my cb today, since it doesn't live in thecar and rides shotgun when it does come along, and was gonna start by finally tuning the antenna (it was acceptable but not optimal last time I checked it but the antenna has actually been off for a while) and hooked up my swr meter and luckily checked it before I headed out to find a wide open space to do things right.

Nothing.

Opened it up and found a wire broken free from its solder point. My soldering iron is at my apartment at school 300 miles away. I borrowed one from my stepdad but he doesn't have solder here so it doesn't look like it really worked, haven't tried it yet.

Got the bracket started though, drilled the holes in some 1"x0.125" galvanized steel I have to attach to the side, now I just need to figure out how to bend it so I can hang the radio from my glove box door. Should work good enough for who it's for haha
    Last edited by orangekid13; 12-23-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Son of a ...

What brand/make/model??? Resoldering shouldn't be hard, wonder what caused it and if there's damage further up the line.

Good Citizen

Meter is a Workman SWR-2T
    CB is Uniden pc68elite

It happened while it wasn't connected, it was either while moving or falling off the shelf in my closet. I've been more careful with the radio. It looks like it was a cold solder joint to start, and not a good one at that. The wire was connected to the part that has a strip from the connector on the back attached too so I'm not surprised they didn't heat it up enough.
    Last edited by orangekid13; 12-23-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Yoda of Radar

You may already know this, but don't get too crazy with the solder. Less is more, when it comes to coax connectors. If you try to solidly fill that center plug, you'll short out your coax very badly. It seems counterintuitive, but that's how it works. Good luck!

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

Thanks, good to know, but the wire isn't to that part, it's for the ground side and that tab is wrapped around the side to the same spot as this itty bitty wire goes to so it's probably a matter of flux at this point.

Good Citizen

The attempted fix didn't do anything as I'd expected

Got a bracket made a while ago to hang my radio from the edge fo the glove box though
    gonna have to figure out a way to make it more secure from bouncing around, maybe just some dual lock will work. I want to still be able to take it off fairly easily though, I go to school in a college town and I don't need my car broken into because something looks like it's worth money, and I just don't need it in my car while I'm driving around town.

I'll try to take a couple pics tomorrow but I haven't finished shopping (damn finals) and have to finish laundry and pack up again to fly to San Jose, but take everything I'll need to fly from there to Orlando for work a week and a half.

Good Citizen

Drove up to Seattle to watch WSU basketball beat LSU by 2 in OT and had my CB with me. I know the radio well enough to be able to adjust it without looking, just have to sit forward a little. I had my camera with so I got a quick (crummy) shot of my dash view at night. (little amber light above cd player is traction control)

V1 CD is visible (but not obvious due to fuzzy picture) near gauges through steering wheel in A mode
    CB (Uniden PC68elite) to the right of cd player
    Garmin Nuvi 760 on dash
    Blue and Red LED lights at the bottom are my kill switches; blue is for v1, red is for CB. I have a couple extra switches that I'll use for jammer (I'd use blue) and scanner (red) if/when I get them.
    I'll try to get a day pic of the radio/bracket tomorrow. (this morning I just figured out there was still protective plastic on the face so I took it off and it's extra shiny still yay)
    The mute button I made for my V1 is just above the kill switches but is not illuminated
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by orangekid13; 12-23-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Good Citizen

So I got my SWR meter fixed between classes today, about to head to my last one then gonna try to find somewhere to tune my antenna.

It doesn't matter if it's raining or the car/antenna is wet when tuning does it?