Thread: CB Antenna Idea

Newcomer

Default CB Antenna Idea

I'm very new to CB radios, and I'm interested in setting one up in my car. I like stealthy installs for the aesthetics and the challenge of finding the most inconspicuous setup. Since I do not use the radio in my car as I prefer to listen to my iPod, I was wondering if it is possible to install a CB whip in place of the factory radio antenna.

I realize in order to get the best performance, I'd be better off going to the tried and tested route, but I was hoping this way may also work. Thanks!

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: CB Antenna Idea

Quote Originally Posted by GearedUp View Post
    I'm very new to CB radios, and I'm interested in setting one up in my car. I like stealthy installs for the aesthetics and the challenge of finding the most inconspicuous setup. Since I do not use the radio in my car as I prefer to listen to my iPod, I was wondering if it is possible to install a CB whip in place of the factory radio antenna.

I realize in order to get the best performance, I'd be better off going to the tried and tested route, but I was hoping this way may also work. Thanks!
    You can certainly put a CB antenna where your Factory antenna is in most cars. I put an NMO mount where my factory AM antenna was. Instead of the CB I put my HAM radio there, but there's certainly CB band antennas you can put on the mount in that place.

Newcomer

So I would place the NMO mount on the outside mount for the AM/FM antenna, mount a CB whip to the NMO, and run the attached coax into the car to the actual CB?

Sorry if that sounds confusing, as I said, I'm new to this...and possibly confusing myself in the process. Thank you for the help, it's very much appreciated!

Radar Fanatic

Almost, I actually disconnected the AM antenna removed it, then put the NMO in the hole that was left, and ran the wire to the CB.

Then you can screw on a CB whip that has an NMO base and you'll be all set to go.

Newcomer

Just to clarify, I setup the NMO mount and then any whip with a 3/8" thread will screw right on? This sounds perfect!

I'm thinking about a 3' Wilson fiberglass antenna, but could I use a Little Wil by removing the magnet mount from the antenna? Or is there a different antenna you would recommend altogether?

Thanks so much for the advice, sorry to keep pestering

Good Citizen

I suppose you could do that, but if you are going for a more stealth approach you shouldn't. You should get either a larsen, or antenex NMO style antenna. The one that I am getting is called a C27 and would be perfect for your install. Also the CB27 is the black version.
    Last edited by dewby; 12-29-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by GearedUp View Post
    Just to clarify, I setup the NMO mount and then any whip with a 3/8" thread will screw right on? This sounds perfect!
    An NMO mount accepts any NMO antenna, which is a 3/4" diameter fitting, not 3/8". It looks like this:

How about posting up a picture of the base of your factory FM antenna, or better still, the hole that is left once the antenna is removed?

Newcomer

Still sitting at work, so I'll actually take a look when I get home tonight. I'm thinking the hole from the AM/FM will be too small, and I'm hesitant to start drilling holes in the roof.

I went digging through my dad's radios and antennas and put together a magnet mounted whip, just gotta pick up which CB I wanna hook that up to. He's got a SWR meter so I can tune it up and test it out. Before spending any money and doing something permanent I'm going to give this a shot.

Then grab a few beers and the dremel and get to work!

Experienced

Now that I'm home and have an NMO mount to look at, it's closer to 1 1/8" diameter where the antenna screws on. But if you're looking at an NMO mount that mounts through a hole, the threaded stud that goes through the body panel can be found in 3/8" size.

Newcomer

Thanks so much for help everyone! I checked out where my radio antenna is mounted, and unfortunately it doesn't look like I can make my idea work without drilling my room. Right now I'm not excited about that prospect, so I'm giving an old magnet mount a try. I have a bike rack on my roof, so I figure that can partially hide the mount, while the whip itself is black and tough to see. I'll see how that goes for a while and if the look continues to bug me, then I'll take a more invasive approach.