Newcomer

Default Little Wil better than Maxrad 2700/Antenex Laird C27/Larsen NMO27?

So I got my cb installed the other day. The antenna I ended up getting was the Larsen NMO27B on a Larsen NMOTLP trunk lip mount. From all accounts I read on here this antenna is pretty much the same as the Maxrad and Antenex ones I listed in the title.

Anyway, so I go to this cb shop and the guy is immediately like "thats not a very good antenna, you really ought to get one like mine..." and his car is right there and he has a little wil on it. He says that the little wil will perform much better and can get 20 mile range and this and that. Anyway, after I got all my stuff installed I ended up having to pay this dude a bit more that I thought, so I felt kinda ripped off and maybe this guy is full of it about the little wil vs. my antenna and just trying to get me to spend more money there initially...I don't know.

But anyway I know a few people have had both here and was wondering your opinions. Thanks.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Default Re: Little Wil better than Maxrad 2700/Antenex Laird C27/Larsen NMO27?

I used a Little Wil for a few tens of thousands of miles, and it performed acceptably. I don't think I ever heard 20 miles on it, but I don't live in the desert either. I talked a max of about 8 miles on it with a stock 4 watt radio, and was able to confirm hearing about ten miles.

We have some members that use the 2700 and its relatives with good results. Antenex makes a lot of antennas for 'professional' fields like law enforcement, so they can't be that bad.

Newcomer

Yeah I know there are a lot of little wil and 2700/etc users here - the impression I got in reading threads before I actually got my antenna was that the two were comparable in performance, just with the 2700/etc having a bit of a lower profile (despite being 1ft longer).

I was just kind of suprised to here this guy saying the little wil would be so much better. I still have a bit of tweaking to do on my setup, and havent used it much, so I don't know the functional range yet.

Radar Fanatic

My radio is always better than your radio, my antenna is always better than yours my mic is always better than yours; cause this guy was full of sh*t. I've used both, the lil wil is the bare minimum for countermeasure purposes.

Depend upon where you are and hwo you're dealing with tell hi yours is bigger/longer.

The C27 MLB2700 compares most directly to the Wilson 1k. But the 1k can stand more power if you're running an illegal setup. And when it comes to reception on the same radio, the C27s will out do the lil wils all day long, when properly adjusted and setup. Also the lil will has the big ugly base, the C27 is almost invisible in the CB world.

I wouldn't tell anyone with a lil wil that they got the wrong antenna, but I'd certainly recommend the C27 first if they hadn't gotten an antenna yet.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    My radio is always better than your radio, my antenna is always better than yours my mic is always better than yours; cause this guy was full of sh*t. I've used both, the lil wil is the bare minimum for countermeasure purposes.

Depend upon where you are and hwo you're dealing with tell hi yours is bigger/longer.

The C27 MLB2700 compares most directly to the Wilson 1k. But the 1k can stand more power if you're running an illegal setup. And when it comes to reception on the same radio, the C27s will out do the lil wils all day long, when properly adjusted and setup. Also the lil will has the big ugly base, the C27 is almost invisible in the CB world.

I wouldn't tell anyone with a lil wil that they got the wrong antenna, but I'd certainly recommend the C27 first if they hadn't gotten an antenna yet.
    Ditto. I've used both and the 27 is much better.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    ok, thanks for the info. This was pretty much why I went with the larsen antenna in the first place. At first I was kinda pissed cause I though maybe I should've gone with the little wil, but I'm glad I got the larsen. It seems to be working good so far. Guess that guy was full of sh*t / trying to sell more stuff.

Experienced

I like the Larsen NMO. Works great with my setup.