Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Question about antennas for scanners

If anyone knows anything about scanners and antennas I could use some help. Just bought a Uniden Bearcat BC246T handheld scanner. I don't have any past experience with them though. Im looking to get a little better antenna for it and I have one in mind. It gives me a selection of frequencies between 140 to 174 to choose from.

This is quoted from the site im purchasing it from:
    "This new flex coil matching network provides at band center low SWR as well as a +or - 5 MHz band center. (Example an antenna tuned at 146 being the band center, the antenna will perform the same between 141-151 MHz.)"

I have no idea as to which one to choose? Should I choose one to the frequency that I will be listening in on most or something?

Advanced Member

Default Re: Question about antennas for scanners

Quote Originally Posted by tech9
    If anyone knows anything about scanners and antennas I could use some help. Just bought a Uniden Bearcat BC246T handheld scanner. I don't have any past experience with them though. Im looking to get a little better antenna for it and I have one in mind. It gives me a selection of frequencies between 140 to 174 to choose from.

This is quoted from the site im purchasing it from:
    "This new flex coil matching network provides at band center low SWR as well as a +or - 5 MHz band center. (Example an antenna tuned at 146 being the band center, the antenna will perform the same between 141-151 MHz.)"

I have no idea as to which one to choose? Should I choose one to the frequency that I will be listening in on most or something?
    Usually antennas for scanner use are pretty broad-banded, what antenna are you looking at exactly? I wouldn't expect an antenna marketed as a scanner antenna to be that narrow banded. Those sound like they are for transceivers, not scanners.

But if you are going to get one of those, choose the one closest to the frequencies you'll be listening to, and you'll get the best results. But for a scanner I wouldnt recommend something that narrow. At the least, consider a combo VHF/UHF antenna, those should give decent performance...

Jim

Newcomer

I guess I should of posted a link so you could check it out. Well, here it is:
    http://smileyantenna.com/product_inf...products_id=34

I had read a review (dont have that link) about it, and "they" chose it as being a good all around antenna since it recieved all bands pretty well.

Newcomer

Default Scanner Antenna

Actually, This antenna would probably work better if you are going just handheld.

http://smileyantenna.com/product_inf...products_id=58

The other antenna you were looking at is for a ham 2m handheld radio. The above antenna should give you good reception for all frequencies of coverage.

If you are looking for an antenna for your vehicle, Radio Shack sells a nice scanner antenna that mounts through the glass. I have one on my truck and it works great.

For a scanner you need not pay attention to SWR values for scanners. SWR is a concern for transmitters only.

Hope this helps.

Newcomer

Ok thanks for the link. Like I said, im new to using scanners so...ya. Im not sure if the person who was review it was using it for a scanner or a radio. Cant quite remember. But anyways. I have another question I guess.

I was scanning along in the 800mhz band and somehow came across a telephone conversation. :shock: The scanner is brand new, it's a BC246T. I've only used it for about 2 days now and this is the first time I picked up anything like that. Of course I changed the frequency a couple of times (scanned) and it again tuned in on yet another telephone conversation. Im wondering if this is "occasionally" normal or since it is REALLY windy outside, the wind has to do with it? Has anyone else picked up a mobile phone conversation?

Advanced Member

Well the cellular range is normally blocked (in US models anyway). If yours is a US model then it could be a few different things:

Because of the ways scanners mix the signals for receive, it is possible to hear "images" on other frequencies, it is possible that you picked up an "image" of the cell phone call. I've had this happen to me on a few of my scanners, including my BCT-12. It is kind of strange that it is happening on a newer scanner, the FCC passed stricter regulations on the rejection of cellular images. But I guess it is still possible, and maybe the most likely explanation...

You could be receiving a frequency that was patched in to the phone system. I've heard police do this before.

In some remote areas, they might have telephone relays on those frequencies instead of running wire, I've seen this in the 150MHz range and 900MHz range before...

Jim

Newcomer

Well hmm. I think some of it might be people using radios to call phones if that makes since or is possible? Also it seems to be on about 3 or 4 of the same frequencies and all of them end in the same 4 digits...

Newcomer

Figured some of it out. They are using nextel phones..the ones with the walkie talkies for working. Then they use the regular part to call out on it.

Power User

id go with a 2m Amature band mobile antenna for that range.

Newcomer

Default scanner antenna

What is the most discreet scanner antenna? Is there anything undetectable, like a cell antenna that works for scanners, a fine wire strip taped on the glass or something behind the grill? Will a tie in to a radio mast work? Or to a digital radio antenna? What about using the car itself as an antenna?