Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scanners legal?

Professional

Default scanners legal?

i've heard scanners are illegal in some states, anyone know about wisconsin? are there any good scanners that anyone that would reccomend that would be portable and not have to be perminantly in my car?

Radar Fanatic

<link removed - jimbonzz>

just press ok if you get a stupid pop up

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: scanners legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackid343
    i've heard scanners are illegal in some states, anyone know about wisconsin? are there any good scanners that anyone that would reccomend that would be portable and not have to be perminantly in my car?
    Apparently you're ok to use a scanner in Wisconsin... next week I'll buy my very first scanner, BCD396T, digital and analog, and as soon as I will be able to punch in all my local Ontario frequencies and test it on the road I will post my first impressions in this very forum... you should find out if your local police uses digital, if not, you will save a lot of money, digital scanners are the most expensive scanners... in Ontario, at least 90% of all OPP and city PDs are on digital so not many choices for me...

Advanced Member

Well I am absolutely in love with my Uniden BC246t and I have no plans on ever selling it. It is the best handheld ANALOG scanner in my personal opinion. Especially when paired with good antenna. When I am walking around my house with my scanner I put on the radio shack 800mhz since that is all i really listen to, and the antenna is better on picking up Trunked systems and has the same VHF/UHF performance as the sotck antenna.....

For an entry scanner in a region that does not have digital yet, the Uniden 246t is a great entry handheld scanner especially with the close call feature.....I have heard some good things about the the Radio Shack scanners but i also heard they are impossible to program...

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

so you have to program in the frequencies that are used in your area? so if i went on a road trip, my scanner wouldn't do me all that much good?

Advanced Member

Well your scanner could still work on a road trip but you occassionally would have to have it search for frequencies....But you are better off programming it.

The way you can program most scanners is that you can have multiple groups of frequencies you want to listen to and then these groups have sub-groups.
    Let me explain how i have my scanner is set up
    1: Suffolk County PD trunked system
    2: Long Island Conventional (channels I monitor close to my home)
    3: Road Trips Conventional
    ------a) Pennsyvania
    ------b) New York
    ------c) CB frequencies
    +plus many more different groups up to 10

Now I can turn off certain groups when i don't want to scan them. When i am at my desk at home i only have my bc246t scanning county PD. since i have my other scanner(BearCat 210xl) scanning the LI channels i like

I have my scanner programmed with all possible channels i might need for road trips i know i will take. But I can also add channels easily by using the Search and Store function. For example my parents dragged me to NYC one day i brought my scanner along with no NYC frequencies, I ran Search and store for 5minutes and i had filled my memory band with channels.

But there is one bonus to some scanners they can easily be programmed to the channels you want to listen to when you hook it up to your computer with certain software....I have used the software and also programmed my scanner by hand, both are pretty easily done. I usually always preprogram my scanner before road trips or i go to a different place

When choosing your scanner it all come down to what you want to listen to. Conventional, Analog Trunked, or Digital Trunked.

Radio systems are slowly going to a Digital Trunked system however there are some states that still use conventional systems...Reason i bought the scanner i did was the "Close-Call" feature and that it recieved analog trunking systems which i listen to in NY at home.

I get my frequencies from this website http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

Hey Rob, man you're GOOD in making dummies like me and others understand how this world of scanning really works... thanks a lot for doing this for us
    Two quick questions please:

1) What's the difference between Conventional and Trunking Systems, aren't these the same, analog both?
    2) You said when you bought your scanner your parents took you to NYC with no NYC frequences preprogrammed before the trip, so in the middle of the city you just used the "search and store" features and the scanner automaticaly pickedup and stored all frequences around you??? In other words all you have to do to program your scanner with all locals is to get outside, run the search and store features for a couple of minutes and all the local frequencies of that area will automaticaly be found and stored in your scanner??? If so, this is GREAT, it saves you hours and hours of hand programming your scanner especially when you live in large cities like NYC or Toronto... if this is true, the scanner must have a feature similar with the GPS feature of my Motorola i730 radio/cell unit, anywhere I might be and I want to know my exact location I just go to the menu and run the GPS feature, the system says "searching for satellites", it takes up to 3 minutes to find one satellite and then... bang... the display shows that particular location with a 2 metres accuracy...

How is life in NYC now with this MTA general strike??? I'm just watching your FOX5 G'Day NY, people are not very pleased with the strike, it says that the strike is illegal, and now you need 4 people in the car to use the HOV lanes in/out Manhattan... pretty messy... right now they show the GW Bridge and it's packed with cars, nobody is moving nowhere... you pay to not moving at all, pretty stupid...

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    My cousin lives 5-7 miles east of Huntington, on the north shore of Long Island, is that Suffolk County?

Founder of Stealthvation

Well I am absolutely in love with my Uniden BC246t and I have no plans on ever selling it. It is the best handheld ANALOG scanner in my personal opinion. Especially when paired with good antenna. When I am walking around my house with my scanner I put on the radio shack 800mhz since that is all i really listen to, and the antenna is better on picking up Trunked systems and has the same VHF/UHF performance as the sotck antenna.....

For an entry scanner in a region that does not have digital yet, the Uniden 246t is a great entry handheld scanner especially with the close call feature.....I have heard some good things about the the Radio Shack scanners but i also heard they are impossible to program...
    Rob try the Seeker 800mhz Antenna ($39.99). I used tot use the Radio Shack bu tht eSeeker is a bit better. It RULES on 800mhz
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Advanced Member

1)Ok conventional systems are radio systems that pretty much have one frequency and all the communication goes on that one frequncy....There is a problem with this though. That in times when people need to communicate one channel isn't enough.So they add a bit more channels and it is just not that feasible to give ever division of the PD their own channel and when a couple stations isn't enough a trunk controler is put into place. Now this trunk control allows the conversation to jump to an open frequency if the starting frequency is taken. A trunking scanner can pick up on these frequency changes so you can follow/"listen" to the conversation even though it is going from frequency to frequency.
    I am not really good at explainning this but I tried. However, here is a full explanation i found online

Conventional vs. Trunked Channel Management
    A radio system with only one channel funnels all conversations through one portal. Like a movie theater with only one ticket window, users must line up to access the service. Adding more channels (ticket windows) adds more parallel capacity, but individual conventional radio system users must still choose which line to wait in. In any queue, the wait in some lines may be longer than in others. Radio users, unlike people in ticket lines, have no way to know which radio channel queue is the shortest. Banks and amusement parks sometimes address this problem by creating single, serpentine lines. Queued customers are then automatically send to the next available service window in first-come, first-served order. Voice mail and telephone answering systems also function this way. In a similar manner, trunked radio systems assign available channels to users on a (generally) first-come, first-served basis. Trunked system users have no need (or capability) to review the channels to locate an available one. Instead, the user simply keys the microphone to request a channel assignment, and the system controller automatically does the rest. The system controller issues call progress tones to inform the user when to proceed to talk or wait for channel assignment. If all the channels are busy at once, the controller places the channel request in a logical stack for assignment when a channel becomes free. Often, the delay is imperceptible to the user. Thus trunking relieves congestion but does not solve interoperability problems. Trunking controllers are computers that monitor all ongoing radio traffic and dynamically allocate channels according to pre-defined rules maintained in the system’s database. Some trunked systems also have prioritization schemes to allow specified users to ‘jump the line’ ahead of already-waiting users. This is called ruthless preemption, and recognizes that emergency message traffic is considered of greater importance than routine traffic. Trunking is state-of-the-art for PLMR as well as for cellular, PCS, and ordinary telephone systems. As a result, trunked systems are well-established offerings of major radio equipment manufacturers. There are two primary variants: transmission trunking and message trunking. Under transmission trunking, the controller assigns a radio channel each time the user keys the microphone to talk. With message trunking, the controller retains the same channel for use for the duration of the conversation. Each system has its merits, but they are not always compatible with each other.
    2)Yes the search and store features do help out alot. However it will only store channels that are active, meaning people are talking on it. The reason it works great in NYC is that there is so much radio activity...I tried doing it up at my school and it took me an hour to get all the local frequencies in.....I still perfer using my computer to program my scanner...With available softwar it makes the process so much easier and it is easier for my to type the Name of the frequency rather than input it using my scanner......Search and store feature is great for diving right into scanning I used it the first night with my scanner so i could listen, But the problem is then you have to add the label of each frequency which takes awhile. Also with programing in the frequencies that i want i am only listening to what i want thats it nothing else...

The scanner does NOT have a GPS system....In the search and store feature is seeks out transmitted frequencies and saves them to the memory.

As for hand prgramming I use to do it alot, but now that i have computer software i just hook my scanner up to my computer and i pretty much "drag and drop" the frequencies into my scanner. All top level scanners have this type of software available.

Personally i hate living on long island because you can never really need when you need too. way too much traffic, but you learn to deal with it. I didn't want to get any where near the city with this strike going on. As for HOV lanes it doesn't matter to me I feel more comfortable being able to cut through traffic then be stuck behind a slow car in the HOV lane and if need be i guess i will buy 3 blow up dolls for the time i need to use the HOV lane
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Warrior
    My cousin lives 5-7 miles east of Huntington, on the north shore of Long Island, is that Suffolk County?
    Well he is pretty much right on the county line...it depends just how east he is of huntington.
    Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    Rob try the Seeker 800mhz Antenna ($39.99). I used tot use the Radio Shack bu tht eSeeker is a bit better. It RULES on 800mhz
    Yeah that is on my list definitely i originally wanted one but the RS antenna was a cheaper alternative.....

I now need to find a digital scanner since my county PD now has it's detectives and drug squad on a digital system. Over the summer they were the best to listen to as they sat on steakouts and drug busts

Scanner-RS Pro-96