Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Police Scanner antenna help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone! This is my first post. I've been around for sometime, and I've got A LOT of useful information from ya'll. But now is a time when I need to ask some questions, lol! Anyways.....

I got a police scanner, a radioshack pro 95. I'm kinda dissapointed in it because i cant really hear the low fequencies (27.xxx cb and 42.xxx highway patrol) Those frequencies were the main things I want to listen to and the main reason I got a police scanner. But I cant hear anything on them, is there a reason why that is? and is there a way I can fix it?

My only idea is to get an antenna. Good idea, bad idea? Will it work? Can anyone lead me into the right direction, or better yet, just tell me what kind to get? I want to put it on my trunk of my car (thats the main thing i need, also I would like for it to not be bigger than 2 feet. But if my wants cant happen please tell me what to get and how to get it done right) But.... I'm looking at a Procomm JBC290MMBN Mirror Mount Scanner Radio Antenna Kit. Its 18" tall with a 15' BNC cable. Does anyone know if this is any good, or will do what I want it to? Though its a mirror mount is there any possible way to attach it on my trunk? Cuz the picture on the website looks like it could fit on my trunk.

Another thing is, I read that an antenna needs to be kind "free" like, nothing surronding it, and that metal can mess with the reception and stuff? How true is this? Reason I am asking is because I have an aluminum spoiler on my car. Would that affect reception or anything? I also plan on getting a cb radio soon, so could the aluminum spoiler mess up transmitting and stuff when I get one? I'll probably have more questions about the cd radio stuff later. But I have the scanner now and I want to be able to listen to what I intended to listen to anyways. So thank you all for any replys!!!!!!!!!

Advanced Member

I use that procom antenna with my scanner and it does great on everything...but not so good on CB frequencies....Most scanners are NOT really that good with recieveing CB frequencies. That is wy i have my CB.....Which i think is more useful at avoiding tickets than a scanner.

The higher you mount the antenna on the car the better the reception so i would go with the magnetic mount or window clip.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ants/0466.html

I would get a CB if that is what you want to listen to....HP won't broadcast their location and if they do it's rare

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ants/2485.htmlMounting the antenna on a trunck will give you no CB reception at all

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

Thanks for the quick reply! So i guess its a good antenna. Since it probably wont pick up cb channels, would it atleast pick up NC highway patrol? 42.xxx freqency? Thats one of the big reasons I wanted it. I didnt really get it to avoid tickets or anything, thats just a possible plus. But my girlfriends stepdad and real dad both work at firestations and EMS, so they have them, and it just put the idea my head that made me want to get one. I'm the type of person to just listen in on things, i'm a good listener. But anyways.... Do you have the magnet mount? I heard it was better to get a permanent mount cuz it gives better reception? Is that true? Thats one reason I wanted that, plus I drive really fast and I would think that a magnet would fall off. Does yours have any problems staying on at high speeds? I also heard that antennas need to be seperated when you have more than one, so if I put the scanner antenna on the drivers side then the cb antenna on the passenger side would it work alright? I dont want interference or anything. (just to let u know, i dont have a am/fm antenna, in fact i dont have a radio. Just in case anyone asked about my am/fm radio antenna.) Thanks for the replys!!!!

Advanced Member

Permanent mounts are only better once hyou get the antenna tuned to the car since the antenna will always be in tune once you tune the antenna....but really it doesn't vary much.

I run both my CB and Scanner antenna on top of my jeep about 8 inches appart and have never had any difficulty with my set-up....However i don't scan CB frequencies when my CB is on

If you drive "really fast" i might recommend trunk mounted antenna. However I have both my antennas on my volvo when i was doing 110-120, and they didn't even move There is no way my CB antenna will move with the huge magnet mount antenna it's got. But i would be worried about the scanner antenna cause it has a small magnet. But really i doubt it will move

You should not expect interference at all i have yet to notice any if i had interference but i don't.

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

Thanks for the replys!!!!

So would it probably be best to get the Procomm magnet mount? Or do you know anything better?

Also, is my aluminum spoiler going to have any effect on it? I plan on still placing it on my trunk, or should I place it somewhere different?

Advanced Member

I am not sure how the spoiler will effect it, or if it even will.

To make sure i won't scratch my car i put hockey tape on the the bottom of the antenna

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

alright, well i think i'm gonna go with it, and hopefully my spoiler wont effect it in anyway. And i aint worried bout scratchin my paint because my car is primmered. Thank u very much for the very quick replys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advanced Member

Hey I was looking at the North Carolina frequencies....And it look like they are not using the Low VHF frequencies....The North Carolina Highpatrol uses a analog trunked system!!!!!!

You might be better off getting a window clip antenna connector(Opek AM801 ) and get a Seeker 800 MHz antenna to listen to the Highway patrol.

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

You mind telling me where you got your information from? I'm not saying that your wrong or anything, but i saw on another website that they use the low VHF which I guess is the 42.xxx frequency. But if you found the correct information about NC highway patrol, that would be great for me. So thank you!

That window clip antenna looks very good and probably will perfom well, but I wouldnt like a window clip because my car is 2 doors, and when the sun gets a shining, I roll my windows down. So I dont think a window clip would be good for me. I think I'm just gonna go with the antenna I stated in my first post, except it'll be the magnet.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by NRTrackChamp2004
    You mind telling me where you got your information from? I'm not saying that your wrong or anything, but i saw on another website that they use the low VHF which I guess is the 42.xxx frequency. But if you found the correct information about NC highway patrol, that would be great for me. So thank you!
    Well radioreference has two things one with the highway patrol on the state wide trunked system
    http://www.radioreference.com/module...TRSDB&sid=4087
    And one with the low VHF frequecies......
    http://www.radioreference.com/module...ame=RR&aid=992
    Now my county system is trunked and I can only pick up one of the dispatches on high VHF, the rest solely use the trunked system...that could be why you don't hear anything listening to the low VHF frequencies

Scanner-RS Pro-96