Lead Foot

Default ARC246 Software for the 246t

Has anyone used this software before? I have the software from Uniden that has the interface that looks like the scanner, but from what I have read this ARC software is MUCH better.

If you have used it, how do you like it? Any tips on using it? I'm thinking about buying it, but 40 bucks is kinda pricy.

I'm going on a trip to Florida in April and i'm starting early to get all the state frequencies I will be going through. Also, how do you tap into the CB radio stations with the 246t?

I've had the scanner for over a year now and really haven't used it all that much. I'm a notice and it intimidated me.

Professional

If you are going to be in Central Florida, I'd recommend this web site

http://home.cfl.rr.com/scanner/'' in addition to the Radio Reference site.

Ed

p.s. I use Win96 and Scanstar software, sorry.

Default ILLEGAL IN FLORIDA to scan or even transport in a vehicle!

Heads up!
    It is ILLEGAL to "transport" a scanner in the state of Florida.
    I have confirmed with multiple random law enforcement officers that they have been instructed in memos to arrest on the spot anyone found in possession of a scanner in a vehicle regardless of it is on or off, mounted or unmounted etc. etc.
    Seems like they are taking the memo they received SERIOUSLY. Multiple questions got me this same response from various different areas at various different times.
    One officer told me that if I ABSOLUTLEY had to transport it from one place to another like a local event or something that I should transport it in a zippered bag in the locked trunk of the car with batteries removed.

Don't shoot the messenger. I am just relaying EXACTLY what was told to me. BTW I also checked the site with Florida Statutes and it is indeed in there as a newly amended law which went into effect in July 2005.

Good Citizen

WOW! That sounds alarmingly similar to the concealed weapons permit; gun stored unloaded w/ammo in a different sealed container. Will someone get in trouble for transporting a scanner w/o batteries in the same container as an unloaded gun and with the batteries and bullets in the same container or an unloaded gun in a case with the scanner batteries or power plug and the scanner in the same case as the bullets?

Thanks for the followup crazyVOLVOrob but.......
    I just thought I would come jump back in here to make it clear so no one gets arrested because of inaccuracy.
    I live in Florida and have verified and reverified this through multiple official means. Go back to the link you quoted and read in really carefully.
    It says "Use is Illegal if installed or transported in vehicles"

Prior to July 2005 it used to only say "Use is Illegal if installed in vehicles"

Law enforcement were specifically made aware of the new change which says transported
    I actually brought up the identical scenario about the radio shack issue and the technicality is that you are indeed breaking the law and subject to arrest on the spot for transporting a scanner home from Radio Shack. That's when the issue came up where they said well it better be in a zippered bag in a locked truck with no installed batteries in it.

I have confirmed this in Orlando, Miami, Ft. Lauderdle and Cocoa Beach areas. So it seems like all Law Enforcement agencies were sent a special memo about this indeed.

Just be aware...that's all. Cops down here aren't too lenient if you know what I mean. Especially in Broward and Dade counties.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by op786
    Thanks for the followup crazyVOLVOrob but.......
    I just thought I would come jump back in here to make it clear so no one gets arrested because of inaccuracy.
    I live in Florida and have verified and reverified this through multiple official means. Go back to the link you quoted and read in really carefully.
    It says "Use is Illegal if installed or transported in vehicles"

Prior to July 2005 it used to [/b]only[b] say "Use Illegal if installed in vehicles"

Law enforcement were specifically made aware of the new change which says transported
    I actually brought up the identical scenario about the radio shack issue and the technicality is that you are indeed breaking the law and subject to arrest on the spot for transporting a scanner home from Radio Shack. That's when the issue came up where they said well it better be in a zippered bag in a locked truck with no installed batteries in it.

I have confirmed this in Orlando, Miami, Ft. Lauderdle and Cocoa Beach areas. So it seems like all Law Enforcement agencies were sent a special memo about this indeed.

Just be aware...that's all. Cops down here aren't too lenient if you know what I mean. Especially in Broward and Dade counties.
    read the attorney's definition of the Law

If the law was interpeted as you say they might as well make scanners totally illegal and not available for sale in FL

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Hi again crazyVOLVOrob

Unfortunately again I have to correct you on your last reply.
    Don't want to start a longwinded, detailed explanation BUT I also want to make sure readers on this forum are not misinformed
    A simple slipup could ruin someone's vacation and have them possibly arrested and cost them a pretty penny when they come down to our beautiful Sunshine State. We'd rather you guys come visit our state and spend your hard-earned dollars in our Florida small businesses instead of possibly wasting it and spending it on bail, fines and lawyers

Yes all of us scanner listeners in Florida are long aware of that OLD Attorney General's interpretation regarding the interpretation of "installed" but if you check your own reference to the link for the Attorney General's interpretation, you will clearly see that is an OLD interpretation which clearly says on the bottom "Last updated: December 16, 2002"
    Keep in mind the new law went into effect in July 2005
    In the old law there was no mention at all of "illegal to transport". There was only mention of "illegal to install" and the clarification by the Attorney General was regarding the technical definition of "install"
    Now however, it is a whole new ballgame since they intentionally, specifically rewrote the law in July, 2005 and included the word "transport". Obviously they intentionally added that word for a reason.
    Maybe in a year or two we'll get the good 'ole Attorney General to give us his NEW interpretation of what "transport" really means...
    Who would like to pitch in and buy a nice scanner and send it to him as a gift??? Maybe we can get him hooked on scanning..ha ha

Trust me .....we know it sucks down here now due to the newly introduced law.

For those interested, here is the link to the actual Florida Statutes which was updated in July 2005 that I am referring to.

http://tinyurl.com/dtg2f

That is a shortened link which will redirect you to the actual statute.

Also the official charge for breaking Florida Statute F.S.S 843.16 is a First Degree Misdemeanor. Not more than a year in jail or $1,000 fine.

So there it is folks.

As a side note however, notice that the law does NOT apply to amateur radio operators if there are any of you out there....

Good Citizen

This section shall not apply to any holder of a valid amateur radio operator or station license issued by the Federal Communications Commission

another reason to get a ham license