Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default whats good for tracking police in california?

im new here so please be nice

i have been reading up on the Beartracker, and it "sounds" like what i need. its suppost to alert you if there are police within 3 miles correct? or is there a better unit for that? also it says you can listen in on there freqs. but isnt LAPDs signals encrypted?

Advanced Member

Yeah it sort of works, but only with the older radio systems and CA has going pretty advanced with their system seems trunked so no the beartracker system will not work for you

And to scan the CA system you need a scanner that scans "trunked" systems

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

what does trunked mean?

Advanced Member

1)Ok conventional systems are radio systems that pretty much have one frequency and all the communication goes on that one frequncy....There is a problem with this though. That in times when people need to communicate one channel isn't enough.So they add a bit more channels and it is just not that feasible to give ever division of the PD their own channel and when a couple stations isn't enough a trunk controler is put into place. Now this trunk control allows the conversation to jump to an open frequency if the starting frequency is taken. A trunking scanner can pick up on these frequency changes so you can follow/"listen" to the conversation even though it is going from frequency to frequency.
    I am not really good at explainning this but I tried. However, here is a full explanation i found online

Conventional vs. Trunked Channel Management
    A radio system with only one channel funnels all conversations through one portal. Like a movie theater with only one ticket window, users must line up to access the service. Adding more channels (ticket windows) adds more parallel capacity, but individual conventional radio system users must still choose which line to wait in. In any queue, the wait in some lines may be longer than in others. Radio users, unlike people in ticket lines, have no way to know which radio channel queue is the shortest. Banks and amusement parks sometimes address this problem by creating single, serpentine lines. Queued customers are then automatically send to the next available service window in first-come, first-served order. Voice mail and telephone answering systems also function this way. In a similar manner, trunked radio systems assign available channels to users on a (generally) first-come, first-served basis. Trunked system users have no need (or capability) to review the channels to locate an available one. Instead, the user simply keys the microphone to request a channel assignment, and the system controller automatically does the rest. The system controller issues call progress tones to inform the user when to proceed to talk or wait for channel assignment. If all the channels are busy at once, the controller places the channel request in a logical stack for assignment when a channel becomes free. Often, the delay is imperceptible to the user. Thus trunking relieves congestion but does not solve interoperability problems. Trunking controllers are computers that monitor all ongoing radio traffic and dynamically allocate channels according to pre-defined rules maintained in the system’s database. Some trunked systems also have prioritization schemes to allow specified users to ‘jump the line’ ahead of already-waiting users. This is called ruthless preemption, and recognizes that emergency message traffic is considered of greater importance than routine traffic. Trunking is state-of-the-art for PLMR as well as for cellular, PCS, and ordinary telephone systems. As a result, trunked systems are well-established offerings of major radio equipment manufacturers. There are two primary variants: transmission trunking and message trunking. Under transmission trunking, the controller assigns a radio channel each time the user keys the microphone to talk. With message trunking, the controller retains the same channel for use for the duration of the conversation. Each system has its merits, but they are not always compatible with each other.

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

hmm ok so where can i buy a trunked radio system for listening to encrpted channels? also do they have better units for finding police in my area?

Lead Foot

The BCT-8 is a trunked scanner that does both trunking and conventional scanning. It comes down to who you will be monitoring and what communication system they are using. I find that the scanner is very useful in traffic collision reports and finding out why the traffic isn'[t moving. The scanner offers alot of info and entertainment. You can monitor the CHP planes and helicopters especially when they are doing air enforcement as it is a fun thing to listen to.

if u can pickup police planes, can u also listen to base and patrol cars?

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by austinsevo
    if u can pickup police planes, can u also listen to base and patrol cars?
    Depends on your deptartment. Here in California the answer to your question would be yes since the CHP coordinates its plane with ground units via radio (VASCAR) to go after speedsters.

ok so the bct-8 "will" pick up police signals and i can hear them?, i heard they were encrypted

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by austinsevo
    ok so the bct-8 "will" pick up police signals and i can hear them?, i heard they were encrypted
    Yes you should be able to pick them up hear their voices unless you have a bad antenna or if they are on a digital frequency. There are very few encrypted.The BCT-8 is a trunk tracker. Which antenna are you using on this