Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2ft cb antenna?

Good Citizen

Default 2ft cb antenna?

I have a little car. I want a cb radio, but not a big antenna. I have found a Wilson 2ft antenna. Would this work good? Anyone know of a good small cb antenna? I dont want nothin to big because I have a little car, plus a big antenna would look stupid anyways. Would the 3ft antenna work any better? And if so, how much?
    Also, does anyone know of a good mount? I'd perfer it to be a drilled mount because I speed. I think a magnet mount would fall off. But thanks for any replys!!!!!!!!!!

Advanced Member

In the most general terms the bigger the antenna the higher the range
    3ft is better than a 2ft and a 4ft is better than a 3 foot

The Wilson, "Lil Wil" is 36" 3 feet and is the top antenna for it's size
    http://www.wilsonantenna.com/lilwil.htm

I have a 56" inch antenna and people don't look at it strange

And when you say you "speed" how fast? the magnetic mount on the Lil-Wil won't budge at any speed. Top level antenna's come with extremely strong magnets

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Yoda of Radar

Yeah the magnet on my fullsize antenna, which dates to the early 1970's is strong enough that I can actually pull on the antenna and the car moves if I have it in Neutral of course :wink:

Radar Fanatic

What about this one:

http://www.durhamradio.com/s/product...8&cat=0&page=1

Any pros or cons :?: :roll:

Good Citizen

well, when I say I speed, I mean I speed. Like over 100. I once in awhile I hit 90-100 on back roads. And when I drive on the highway its a constant 80-110. So if I get a magnet mount i'd need it to stay on under those speeds. Would the "little Wil" hold up to those speeds? Now I'm guessing I should get the "little wil". Which I think would be the best choice. Now if someone can give me a reason to not get it, or knows of a better short antenna (which I doubt), then tell me. I want the best for what I can get!!! Thanks for the replys!!!!!!

Professional

The second link is for a "through the glass" desgin antenna.

All other things being equal, a "through the glass" desgin will not perform as well as one that has a direct connection to the radio and antenna feedline.

If there's metallic tint on or in your glass, it may not work at all.

I once had a mag mount scanner antanna that had difficulty staying on the car at freeway speeds if I was in gusty conditions, like passing trucks, when it was used on a vinyl roof. I moved it to the trunk area, and it did much better.

Ed

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by edweird
    The second link is for a "through the glass" desgin antenna.

All other things being equal, a "through the glass" desgin will not perform as well as one that has a direct connection to the radio and antenna feedline.

If there's metallic tint on or in your glass, it may not work at all.
    Ed
    It DOES have a prewired cable that you will have to connect it to your CB, the side with the cable goes on the inside of the glass, the one with the antenna on the outside of the glass, and I bet you stick it on the glass by rolling down your window, you insert its main base to the edge of the window, antenna-side outside, you roll-up the window, connect the cable to the CB and happy CBing I bet there is no glue involved and 2 ft on top of your car is pretty good, I think so...
    In my case, I have no tinted windows.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by NRTrackChamp2004
    I once in awhile I hit 90-100 on back roads
    Not many trucks on the back roads so your CB would get pretty quite on these roads (and the speed limits are way lower than the interstate ones)... but not the bears :wink: I think a scanner would be very useful on these roads AND in the city (not many trucks as well)... best of luck :wink:

Speed Demon

Lil wilson rules. On the glass will not receive as well. Scanners have there place, but a cb is far more useful IMHO.

Radar Fanatic

ive got a through-glass antenna and it works alright. not a helluva lot of range but appx 2 miles or so. but if you want the best performance dont get one, im about to lose the glass mount and custom fabricate a mount to connect to my hitch so i can use a bigger antenna. as fas as installing a through glass, the outside sticks on and you put silicon around the edges to prevent water from unsticking it, then you stickon the inside part directly opposite of the outside one, run the coaxil cable to the CB and your done. its not required that you ground it but i did mine, but i have alot of interferance from my car from doing that.