Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic
    On the Darknet (LEVEL 10 Telecommunicator) in Tucson, AZ

Default Attention Hams: Anyone own or have used the ICOM IC-7000?

I have been very interested in this radio as it seems as it can do it all (minus APRS). It will even do TVRO. I am interested in the point of view from my fellow RD.net members as to their use or perception of this rig.

Yes, think MARS and all the other Mods.

IC-7000 Downloads - Icom America

Forget $$$ when considering it's value as I have a windfall that came my way today as I was giving it great consideration.

Lead Foot

Default Re: Attention Hams: Anyone own or have used the ICOM IC-7000?

Not myself. But most HAMS I talk to in the area are coocoo for cocopuffs over the 7000.

Street Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
    Not myself. But most HAMS I talk to in the area are coocoo for cocopuffs over the 7000.
    Totally unrelated to this thread, but your post just FREAKED me out, I'm eating some left over Easter candy and I was trying to figure out what this box of it was and low and behold it says "Yummy Cocoa-Puffs dipped in Chocolate!" and I was thinking to myself, coco for cocopuffs? and I open this thread about 10 seconds after that and see this comment.. freaky.

Power User

I'm just starting to get back into HAM. Hopefully I can find something for my car in the next couple of months and then something for my residence.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky225 View Post
    Totally unrelated to this thread, but your post just FREAKED me out, I'm eating some left over Easter candy and I was trying to figure out what this box of it was and low and behold it says "Yummy Cocoa-Puffs dipped in Chocolate!" and I was thinking to myself, coco for cocopuffs? and I open this thread about 10 seconds after that and see this comment.. freaky.
    He's watching you.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I'm just starting to get back into HAM. Hopefully I can find something for my car in the next couple of months and then something for my residence.
    What got me back into it is a few of things;

• Doing my Astronomy Studies I had been learning more about the stars and sunspots and the fact that we are (were) going through one of the lowest sunspot periods on record and that typically after a sunspot low there is a high and with that high we get to use skip.
    • Using the CB more often here lately (because being on the road so much for the job), I have been having good fun with skip. Yesterday, using the CB I made contact from New Mexico while mobile with multiple locations in Hawaii, Florida, Georgia, San Diego, Ca and the best one (it lasted just a few seconds) was with Tokyo. That was too cool. They were all SSB on CHs 38 and 39. One of the Hawaii contacts was like talking across the street. We were both maxing out the other's receive.
    • NO CODE!!! I am happy for those that find code useful and enjoy the knowledge of code but I have felt that I have a finite amount of space in my brain (and the older I get the smaller it becomes) and I just never had the interest in it. So long as the US had the code requirements I was not going to progress up the HAM ladder. (My neighbor has some crank telephones and they are real cool but the fact that we have developed technology that does not require cranking up the phone to get Bertha the operator to connect with our family doesn't make me want to run over to his house to make the calls)
    • Finally, over the last couple of years the manufacturers have begun to understand that we want more for our money and many of them have decided to harness some of the tech that has been available in other products and put them in radios. I love the color display and the voice recorder. I know that color has been around and the voice recorder has been around longer but not at these prices. Plus one radio for all the major bands? TOO COOL!

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    He's watching you.
    You will wake up more comfortable than you have ever been before and find that you were in lying in a bed of Cocoa Puffs. Then you look and there is a camera way high in the corner of the room. You wonder why but don't think about it because you are so comfortable. But then you notice that the walls are white and rubber and all you can think about is milk and a spoon...

and this...

Radar Fanatic

What'd you think the tinfoil hats were for?

Sorry Stim, my interest is all really above 50mhz, 27 for the CB is really pushing it for me. General and Extra is really much more a "because I can" thing.

Lead Foot

ROFL

Street Lawyer

OMFG that thing is awesome
    Last edited by Stealth Stalker; 04-11-2010 at 06:43 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky225

OMFG that thing is awesome

Every time I read the manual I get a Hamgasm.

It needs only a few things to make it "right";

• APRS (it looks smart enough to have it but I think it would have taken more goodies to add dual RCV - I bet the next version will have it)
    • Built-in TNC (kinda goes with APRS)
    • USB control/updates
    • Higher res Video out (the fact that it has Vid out is too cool though)
    • Digital Mode
    • Add-on bands (Radios of this size are probably soft radios anyways so why not add some additional bands - add spread spectrum while you're at it )
    • APCO-25 Send and RCV? Why not? Once DHS gets their way and makes all public service radio systems APCO-25 then they can secure and take over as the color scheme changes )
    • More if I think about it...

Power User

I have been storm spotter trained, and while I know I don't need a HAM radio for that, I'm going to use it as my excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by STiMULi View Post

What radio is that?