Power User

Default IC-2820H vs IC-880H

It seems the real only advantage of the 2820 is you can monitor two bands at the same time, but is it worth the extra money?

Default Re: IC-2820H vs IC-880H

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    It seems the real only advantage of the 2820 is you can monitor two bands at the same time, but is it worth the extra money?
    I asked that very same question. The 2820 is allot of coin! Too much, IMO.

I was originally running the IC91 AD as a mobile for the dual-band/dual-mode functionality, although the display was hard to see. I put analog FM on the top display, and Digital D-STAR on the bottom. I would set the volume lower on analog, and set both to scan. Nice mix. I used an external mic and amplified Motorola speaker. Sounded great! All I needed was a dual band amp that would accept drive levels of 1/2 watt...because the HT would heat up fast on 5 watts when charging (or plugged in to 12 VDC). Mirage once made such an amp. The amp was produced for a couple of years, and is in very short supply. Used prices on evilBay go way over what these listed for new, so I scrubbed the idea. You need at least 50 watts for good mobile range. I could hear further than I could talk. I like the 91 AD very much for a handheld, so I still have it and use it.

OLD INSTALL:

I thought about the 2820 and 880. The 2820 would have allowed me to have the same dual-mode setup with a BIG display and higher output power. But you have to buy the D-STAR/GPS module (big $$$!) for digital, and that puts the price way over the top. I also heard from 2820 users that the intermod rejection is bad in the city areas (high RF areas). It gets wiped!

So I did more investigating of the new 880H, asked some early owners (around the world) a whole bunch of questions about very specific receiver and scan issues (scan not smart on most of the older radios), and came to the conclusion that this third generation digital radio was a better radio than previous offerings. I got one, and let me tell you it is top notch! No bull$#!+ extra cost add-on boards for digital D-STAR, fair price point, intelligent scanning, hot receiver!, powerfull, loud audio, great sounding audio, better digital range, free programming software (a life saver), remote mount kit INCLUDED, and is easy to use with improved UR call-list access on the control head (where the action takes place on digital linking). And NO D@MN intermod in the big cities! I am very picky about radio equipment! And I have tons of high-end Motorola gear...and this radio is one well made HOT transceiver! (hot as in good...stays cool on long transmissions) Yes, there is now one scan list for VHF/UHF/analog/digital, but it scans very very fast. You will like this radio!

This is my radio install now. I left the HT cables there for backup and charging, but I'm taking that out since I really have no need for the extra mess. (BTW - We run 145.670 and 446.225 or 441.000 for D-STAR simplex.) The freq shown on my radio is a secondary digital simplex channel I also use. I have a programming file that is a great template for this radio. It has all the digital linking options, as well as analog stuff. I can send it to whoever wants it.

NEW INSTALL:

Power User

I could just get both and try them out. I do need to build a HAM shack.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I could just get both and try them out. I do need to build a HAM shack.
    Sure...why not?...its your money. I'm either going to get the IC9100 or wait for the IC7000 MkII. I can't by a radio without D-STAR anymore. Digital has really taken off. It is the best thing to happen to ham radio in a long time.