Good Citizen

Default Police Scanner really worth it????

ok, i just got a police scanner. I've had it for a few weeks. I just bought an antenna to go on my car, installed it today. I see no real signs of better reception and clearer signals or whatever. So now I feel like I've wasted money on it. I have a RadioShack Pro-95. I just wanna know if other people felt like they wasted money on thiers. Or do people actually find a good use for it? idk, I just seem to be in a depression sorta state right now and feel like everything I do is wrong. So i would like for someone to tell me that buying the police scanner was a good idea! lol! Thanks for any comments!!!!!!!!!!

Yoda of Radar

How could buying any countermeasures be bad? Well... except for RMR's :roll:

Professional

I heard three emergency vehicles go past my house today at high speed with sirens blazing. I ran to my scanner and within a few minutes knew the details on the house fire up the street that they were responding to.

Earlier this week I cut it on, and heard a traffic detail nailing folks during morning rush for running a red light. I heard them pull over about 20 folks in 30 minutes.

I also listen to other stuff from time to time. The local shopping mall during the Christmas rush, the local racetrack during the events they have, the power company during storms, boats that are on the intercoastal and offshore, airplanes flying around. So for me, the scanner provides a lot more worth than just a countermeasure would.

Ed

Good Citizen

i know theres plenty of uses for it and many different things to listen to, but I just feel like I wasted money on it. I guess I'll just wait and see how my money situation goes and if I need some money i'll just sell then.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by edweird
    I heard three emergency vehicles go past my house today at high speed with sirens blazing. I ran to my scanner and within a few minutes knew the details on the house fire up the street that they were responding to.

Earlier this week I cut it on, and heard a traffic detail nailing folks during morning rush for running a red light. I heard them pull over about 20 folks in 30 minutes.

I also listen to other stuff from time to time. The local shopping mall during the Christmas rush, the local racetrack during the events they have, the power company during storms, boats that are on the intercoastal and offshore, airplanes flying around. So for me, the scanner provides a lot more worth than just a countermeasure would.

Ed
    I think he meant police scanning, so his scanner to help him listen to any close-call police conversation and in this way to identify if and where they are doing a speed trap... personally I wouldn't buy such expensive device (if you need digital and analog) to listen to FD or EMS vehicles... in Toronto, the only scanner that does digital and analog is BCD396T and costs about US$600 plus 15% tax... would I pay $600 plus tax and not to be able to listen to cops around me, that would be a big waste...

Newcomer

Default Scanning

I have a mobile scanner in my vehicle and it has come in quite handy throughout the years that I have had it. I was at one time the assignment editor of of tv newsroom and bought it then. Ever since, it's great to have it. I travel all over the country and haven't encountered any problems yet.
    Happy New Year!!