Professional

Default uniden B-PRO510XL. good idea or not?

i've been inspired by crazyvolvorob and i'm interested in getting a new uniden PRO510XL CB. its quite inexpensive and would be good for me since i'm only starting out with CB's. anyway, i've got a few questions about it:
    1) would it be best to get it right off of uniden's website?
    2) i'd assume that it comes with all the required stuff like an antenna (i know the one that comes with it isnt the greatest) and microphone/speaker, correct?
    3) how do you power the unit? does it use a cigarette lighter adapter or does it require hardwiring?
    4) what would be a good smaller antenna that i could get? i dont want my parents to be suspicious of a huge honkin whip antenna on my trunk, plus they'd probably think it would scratch the hell out of my car, eventhough i know it wouldnt
    5) what is the "mounting bracket" thats on their website under accessories? would this be something that i could use or would be good to use?
    6) anything else you'd reccomend that i do or get with this?

thanks a ton!
    Ted

Advanced Member

1) Buying from the uniden the radio won't come tuned and peaked...I was going to buy my from cbcity.com before i found a radio i wanted on ebay

2) Antenna's are sold separately

3) You can hardwire it in or get a ciggarette lighter adapter which i use

4) A good small antenna with decent range is Wilson Lil Wil(36")....of you could get a slightly bigger Hustler (44")

5) mounting hardware and brackets come with it

6) I got an echo mic for chritmas, it is sort of fun to play with but not necessary

If your parents question you about the CB tell them it's to help you aviod traffic jams and it's great to use for calling for help when cell phone doesn't work

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

ok a few more questions:
    a) what exactly is peaked and tuned?
    b) i would assume getting it from cbcity.com would be probably the best idea because ebay could be a disaster.
    c) could i put like the 36" right next to my radio antenna on the back of my grand am? or would that cause interferance?

the avoiding traffic jams would be a good excuse considering i travel from waukesha (a suburb about 20 min west) to downtown milwaukee about 3 times a week

Advanced Member

A) It pretty much going over the radio trying to get the most out of it's performance like instead of peaking at 7watts transmitting is goes to 14watts and it also increase your range...To be honest i know little about tuned and peaked but every person i talked to about CBs they recommend it

B)cbcity or a site like that would be a good choice. I only bought my radio off ebay cause it was a forum member who was selling it and he had it tuned and peaked by spark's cb shack

C) No interferance with the am/fm antenna. When the antenna is on my Volvo it sits on the center of my trunk and the radio antenna is is on the side. when i drive my family jeep my antennas(scanner and cb) sit 6" close and no interferance.

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: uniden B-PRO510XL. good idea or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackid343
    i've been inspired by crazyvolvorob and i'm interested in getting a new uniden PRO510XL CB. its quite inexpensive and would be good for me since i'm only starting out with CB's. anyway, i've got a few questions about it:
    1) would it be best to get it right off of uniden's website?
    2) i'd assume that it comes with all the required stuff like an antenna (i know the one that comes with it isnt the greatest) and microphone/speaker, correct?
    3) how do you power the unit? does it use a cigarette lighter adapter or does it require hardwiring?
    4) what would be a good smaller antenna that i could get? i dont want my parents to be suspicious of a huge honkin whip antenna on my trunk, plus they'd probably think it would scratch the hell out of my car, eventhough i know it wouldnt
    5) what is the "mounting bracket" thats on their website under accessories? would this be something that i could use or would be good to use?
    6) anything else you'd reccomend that i do or get with this?

thanks a ton!
    Ted
    To try to save you some money (in other words to make you think twice before buying this CB/antenna stuff) please read my latest topic in this very room and try to learn from it... unfortunatelly nobody, including info on all websites, told me about this HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE problem that is STATIC NOISE, it's just killing you :cry: That's besides having problems listening to the truckers, and that's the only reason we buy CB/antenna units... CBs work on ANALOG frequencies which are the old ones, for instance no more cell phones are analog now, they have been replaced by digital ones (security of course but also the best quality possible)... and you cannot listen to your regular radio/sat radio/cd-player AND paying attention to the CB conversations as well, trucker talk that you never know when will be on... so, make up your mind BEFORE you start spending money and then... it's too late... best of luck...

Experienced

get the PRO520XL.

i think im gonna get it from sparkys cb shack...

google them..

They are good cbs for cheap..... better than the 510