Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Old Timer

Default Police scanners....

Hey everyone, offtopic I know, but I bought a police scanner last night, and I want to know if its illegal to have it in the car with me.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Looks like Ohio is OK. Just be careful if you drive to any bordering states...
    http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/scanner5.html
    Is there any way they can track a scanner to a home, cause i use my scanner all the time most of the time if my dad is going out on a fire call.

looks like i might have to stop now

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Power User

no u cant track it...it is only a receiver..ive used them for 20 years and u will be fine.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    no u cant track it...it is only a receiver..ive used them for 20 years and u will be fine.
    All recievers also transmit weak harmonics unitentionally. Just ask the folks in england where government vans look for folks using tv without having paid the tax.

But anyway, scanners are legal in almost every state. In a few states, like michigan it is illegal to have one in a car with you, but you may still have it at home.

In ohio, you can have the scanner anywhere you want, car, home, anywhere.

They are great fun... unfortunately more and more police/fire agencies are going to digitally trunked and or encrypted radio systems....

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    But anyway, scanners are legal in almost every state. In a few states, like michigan it is illegal to have one in a car with you, but you may still have it at home.
    A lawyer friend tells me that in those states where they say it is illegal to use a scanner with criminal intent the cop can ticket you for having one if you get pulled for speeding.
    Richard

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike
    A lawyer friend tells me that in those states where they say it is illegal to use a scanner with criminal intent the cop can ticket you for having one if you get pulled for speeding.
    Richard
    Except that speeding is not a criminal offense. Now if you are running from the cops in a police chase, your scanner might get you an extra chare tacked on....

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    All recievers also transmit weak harmonics unitentionally. Just ask the folks in england where government vans look for folks using tv without having paid the tax.

In ohio, you can have the scanner anywhere you want, car, home, anywhere.

They are great fun... unfortunately more and more police/fire agencies are going to digitally trunked and or encrypted radio systems....

yeah but a scanner would not emit a strong enough signal...

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike
    Richard
    Except that speeding is not a criminal offense. Now if you are running from the cops in a police chase, your scanner might get you an extra chare tacked on....
    How it's done and how it's supposed to be done are two different things. Just like VA cops still try the "i'll either make up a reckless charge or you can smash your detector right here and now" trick.
    Richard

Radar Fanatic

That i could see.