Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,182

    Default Police scanners....

    Hey everyone, offtopic I know, but I bought a police scanner last night, and I want to know if its illegal to have it in the car with me.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern MA
    Posts
    10,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Looks like Ohio is OK. Just be careful if you drive to any bordering states...
    http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/scanner5.html
    Is there any way they can track a scanner to a home, cause i use my scanner all the time most of the time if my dad is going out on a fire call.

    looks like i might have to stop now

    Spoiler: show

    Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

  4. #4
    Power User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In Car RamRod
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    no u cant track it...it is only a receiver..ive used them for 20 years and u will be fine.

  5. #5
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    no u cant track it...it is only a receiver..ive used them for 20 years and u will be fine.
    All recievers also transmit weak harmonics unitentionally. Just ask the folks in england where government vans look for folks using tv without having paid the tax.

    But anyway, scanners are legal in almost every state. In a few states, like michigan it is illegal to have one in a car with you, but you may still have it at home.

    In ohio, you can have the scanner anywhere you want, car, home, anywhere.


    They are great fun... unfortunately more and more police/fire agencies are going to digitally trunked and or encrypted radio systems....

  6. #6
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    But anyway, scanners are legal in almost every state. In a few states, like michigan it is illegal to have one in a car with you, but you may still have it at home.
    A lawyer friend tells me that in those states where they say it is illegal to use a scanner with criminal intent the cop can ticket you for having one if you get pulled for speeding.
    Richard

  7. #7
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    But anyway, scanners are legal in almost every state. In a few states, like michigan it is illegal to have one in a car with you, but you may still have it at home.
    A lawyer friend tells me that in those states where they say it is illegal to use a scanner with criminal intent the cop can ticket you for having one if you get pulled for speeding.
    Richard
    Except that speeding is not a criminal offense. Now if you are running from the cops in a police chase, your scanner might get you an extra chare tacked on....

  8. #8
    Power User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In Car RamRod
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    no u cant track it...it is only a receiver..ive used them for 20 years and u will be fine.
    All recievers also transmit weak harmonics unitentionally. Just ask the folks in england where government vans look for folks using tv without having paid the tax.

    But anyway, scanners are legal in almost every state. In a few states, like michigan it is illegal to have one in a car with you, but you may still have it at home.

    In ohio, you can have the scanner anywhere you want, car, home, anywhere.


    They are great fun... unfortunately more and more police/fire agencies are going to digitally trunked and or encrypted radio systems....

    yeah but a scanner would not emit a strong enough signal...

  9. #9
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    But anyway, scanners are legal in almost every state. In a few states, like michigan it is illegal to have one in a car with you, but you may still have it at home.
    A lawyer friend tells me that in those states where they say it is illegal to use a scanner with criminal intent the cop can ticket you for having one if you get pulled for speeding.
    Richard
    Except that speeding is not a criminal offense. Now if you are running from the cops in a police chase, your scanner might get you an extra chare tacked on....
    How it's done and how it's supposed to be done are two different things. Just like VA cops still try the "i'll either make up a reckless charge or you can smash your detector right here and now" trick.
    Richard

  10. #10
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    That i could see.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. CB vs Police Scanners
    By newkid in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-28-2009, 12:27 PM
  2. Laws On Police Scanners
    By eightball120 in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-20-2007, 06:53 AM
  3. About Scanners...
    By i8yourv8 in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-26-2006, 01:35 PM
  4. Scanners !
    By CactusMan in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 08:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •