Thread: CB setup

Radar Fanatic

Default CB setup

I'm buying a CB today and I need your guys' help. I have it narrowed down to 2 setups.

Setup #1

Uniden Bearcat PC68 Elite

MAXRAD 2700 Antenna

Setup #2

MIDLAND 75-822

MAXRAD 2700 Antenna

I like setup #2 because I'm not sure if I'll have enough room in the new car that I get for the PC68. Is the PC68 huge? The only thing that turns me away from setup #2 is the chance that the speaker in it won't be loud enough. Also, it looks like the HH CB has less options to make it sound better than the PC68. What do you guys think I should get? I'm just using this for CM purposes.

Power User

Default Re: CB setup

I run a 68 in one of my cars and it's a jam up radio! It's about the smallest of the "big" radios and I think it's a tad smaller than a Cobra 25

If you can find the room I'd go for it! Looked at a Uniden 520XL? Not near as nice as a 68 but still a fine little trouble-free radio.

Yoda of Radar

PC-68E > 75-822

/THREAD.

Seriously, do it right the first time. At MINIMUM a 510XL

Radar Fanatic

On another note, I can get the PC78 Elite for like $13 more. Is it worth it for that price and is it a lot bigger?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SteadySpeedin View Post
    On another note, I can get the PC78 Elite for like $13 more. Is it worth it for that price and is it a lot bigger?
    If you have the money I would get the higher end radios so you don't have to worry about upgrading to a stronger radio.

I purchased the Uniden 520xl and I didn't know how much this little radio was going to save me, if I would of known from the get go how well the CB saves you I would of just bought me a high end radio and wouldn't of worried about a small CB, but the Uniden still works awesome, but if you want to sound like the big boys then you need a good CB.

Rule of thumb you can have a high end radio, but when it comes down to it the antenna is what's going to make you or break you.

Once you get your CB peaked and tuned and you want to hear farther and talk farther then you start looking into amps and that's a whole different world there, but go with your gut feeling and ask some truck drivers what they are using, because they use their CB's day and night and they can stir you in the right direction.

You can also go to your local trusted CB shop and I mean trusted CB shop, because there are a lot of them out there to rip you off and especially if you are a noob, but you can always get one used with a lot of high end little add ons that you won't get when you buy new.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSeeker View Post
    If you have the money I would get the higher end radios so you don't have to worry about upgrading to a stronger radio.

if you want to sound like the big boys then you need a good CB.

Rule of thumb you can have a high end radio, but when it comes down to it the antenna is what's going to make you or break you.

You can also go to your local trusted CB shop and I mean trusted CB shop, because there are a lot of them out there to rip you off and especially if you are a noob, but you can always get one used with a lot of high end little add ons that you won't get when you buy new.

Good advice.
    look in my sig to see what I'm using.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSeeker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteadySpeedin View Post

I purchased the Uniden 520xl and I didn't know how much this little radio was going to save me, if I would of known from the get go how well the CB saves you I would of just bought me a high end radio and wouldn't of worried about a small CB, but the Uniden still works awesome, but if you want to sound like the big boys then you need a good CB.

Once you get your CB peaked and tuned and you want to hear farther and talk farther then you start looking into amps and that's a whole different world there, but go with your gut feeling and ask some truck drivers what they are using, because they use their CB's day and night and they can stir you in the right direction.

True on the antenna. I had a lil Wil and was only getting maybe 5 miles, which isn't nearly enough for me, so I started looking at some bigger antennas. At the time I didn't there was virtually no difference between the Wilson 1000 and 5000.