Power User

Default NYC and Pro 164 scanner

Hey guys, someone is selling a Pro 164 scanner. I know that highway patrol, state troopers, etc use digital signals, but will this pick them up? I think it does from what I read. Any help would be appreciated.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: NYC and Pro 164 scanner

Quote Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
    Hey guys, someone is selling a Pro 164 scanner. I know that highway patrol, state troopers, etc use digital signals, but will this pick them up? I think it does from what I read. Any help would be appreciated.
    Where do these rumors keep coming from??? 2nd time in a week I've read that about NYST on here and never seen anything behind it.

NYPD should all be in the clear based on...
    New York County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

NYSP should be monitorable on this EDACS system
    State of New York: METRO-21 (Metro NYC) Trunking System, New York, New York - Scanner Frequencies

Nassau Co is worth programming, but not likely going to hear much; plenty of listening in Suffolk

EDACS is harder to program, but the audio on it should still be analog making the 164 useable for it. I'd suggest using some software unless you really enjoy keystrokes (I can and have multiple trunked systems on my by hand it's just a comparative PITA)

The biggest issue with listening is going to be overcoming the NY scanner laws.

Power User

Thank you for the info.

Speed Demon

The PRO 164 will pickup digital transmissions as long as they are not encrypted.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    The PRO 164 will pickup digital transmissions as long as they are not encrypted.
    False, the 164 will NOT handle digital voice, Digital Trunking is not the same as digital voice which is not the same as encryption.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    False, the 164 will NOT handle digital voice, Digital Trunking is not the same as digital voice which is not the same as encryption.
    I was looking for this post to correct what I said above...I have a PRO-106 not a PRO-164, so I can't comment on the 164.

Newcomer

NYPD is not digital they are analog UHF. And honestly if you live in the city, the best thing to get is UHF commercial radio.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil424 View Post
    NYPD is not digital they are analog UHF. And honestly if you live in the city, the best thing to get is UHF commercial radio.
    That's for sure. The intermod in the city is horrendous. It takes a tight front end to reject all the interference on UHF. Used Scrotorolas are cheap on teh eBay.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil424 View Post
    That's for sure. The intermod in the city is horrendous. It takes a tight front end to reject all the interference on UHF. Used Scrotorolas are cheap on teh eBay.
    But teh programming is a beech.

Agreed though, urban areas band specific commercial radio receivers are superior.

Newcomer

The programming is not hard at all. If you get a motorola radio, yeah programming is a pain in the ass and the software is not free. All my radios are Vertex Standard. Very easy to program and the software is free all you need to buy is the cable. NYPD carrys the Vertex 537 which is a brick and is 400 dollars. Depending on how many frequencies you want to store I can reccomend you a radio.