Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobra CB

Professional

Default Cobra CB

I know cobra detectors are crap, but I'm considering a Cobra CB for interstate trips. 146.520 and 446.000 are normally pretty quiet and while I don't mind quiet, those frequencies also don't typically offer any traffic information.

I am looking at the Cobra 18WXSTII. The reason I like this is the fact that it has a front-firing speaker. I will be purchasing a Tahoe and probably going with a Havis radio-console which is what is in public-safety vehicles. The front-firing speaker will eliminate the need for yet another external speaker in addition to the 2 I will already have to install for the other 2 radios I have that will also be mounted.

Thoughts??
    Last edited by Arvetus; 09-24-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Default Re: Cobra CB

Contrary to their bad rep in RDs, their CBs are some of the most highly used out there, and of decent quality. I've run a Cobra 19, Cobra 25, and a Cobra 29 and had great luck with all of them. I think you'll be perfectly happy with the 18. Remember that you're radio is important, but your antenna is the most important part of your setup. While I've heard the K-40 is nice, have you looked at any other options? The Wilson 1k and 5k are both very nice, and from what I hear, better than the K-40. Just a thought.

Hope this helps,

Dave
    Last edited by David Ford; 09-24-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Professional

Thanks for the info on the Cobra 18. Like I said, I've been out of the CB market for quite a long time. And if Yaesu/Vertex made a CB, I'd be all over it. I have many types of VHF/UHF and even HF radios, but CB is not one of them and hasn't been for a long time. Got fed up with the CB locals where I used to live and went ham, and enjoy it immensely and have a great group of locals here that are wonderful. But I am thinking I need a CB strictly for interstate travel as like I said, the national simplex frequencies on VHF/UHF are useless for local traffic info, and although I have had a conversation with a few truckers running VHF, they are few and far between.

Trust me, I know all about antennas being the key And if it was practical, I would run a 102" whip. But usefulness has to meet practicality somewhere.

I've looked at the Wilson 5k, but from what I understand, the mount is different between the mag-mount and the body-mount. I have not looked at them in person, but I have not found further detail on the specifics and what type of mount is used. It is my understanding that they are not able to be swapped from a body mount to a mag-mount and I would like to be able to do this...
    Last edited by Arvetus; 09-24-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Arvetus View Post

I will probably go with a K-40 antenna as I can permanently mount it to the vehicle, and I can also take it off and move it to another vehicle via mag-mount if needed.

Thoughts??
    The forbidden word was spoken.

Professional

???
    Last edited by Arvetus; 09-24-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Arvetus View Post
    ??? what's wrong with K-40?
    Rule #1

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...gulations.html

Professional

Hmmm... I've been a member since '05 and away from this forum for a while. I do not recall this rule when I joined in 06/2005.. whoops.
    Last edited by Arvetus; 09-24-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Cobra CBs are decent, I think there's a few better ones out there, but there's nothing really wrong with them either, just like an Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu preference. Just like w/ ham the quality of the antenna is where the pudding is for reception, the 5k is a solid antenna, just watch the magmounts if you care about your finish; but then again you're a ham so you know to go ahead and drill that one.

Professional

Yeah, I plan on drilling
    I would like to find an antenna that has the ability to be mounted directly to the body, but taken off and put on a magnet if necessary, say for a temporary vehicle.

I used to be picky with mounting - even ham stuff. I never wanted to drill it. But shoot, I keep a vehicle until it dies anyway, so what's the problem?

Radar Fanatic

NMO mount, then get an NMO mag mount that will work with any other NMO standard.

I suggest the Antenex C27 or CB27 (chrome vs black) (maxrad has an equivelent) it's a base load antenna that can be tuned for CB or 10m (depending on your class) and unlike the Wilsons and firesticks, etc. it doesn't scream look at me CB base or giant sticks hanging up in the air.
    Last edited by Motor On; 09-25-2010 at 10:04 AM.