Advanced Member

Default Scanners in Florida

I recall reading sometime ago that scanners are illegal in cars in Florida.... is that true?

(Yes, I know..... speeding is also illegal)

Just want to make sure when a cop is sitting next to me at a red light. (I have a handheld Uniden)

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300
    Saves: More than I can count

Professional

Default Re: Scanners in Florida

Florida is digital and encrypted so you will not be able to pick anything up anyways. I think the entire state is that way. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    Edit: Looks like some of the locals still haven't switched over completely. All of the state organizations have already switched as well as most of the main cities though. I'd just use the scanner regardless of it being legal or not. Honestly, how is a cop going to see that you have a scanner?
    Last edited by Woodscolby; 10-13-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Experienced

http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/scanner5.html

This is not legal advice, but it reads as if using the rubber-ducky antenna on a handheld scanner running on batteries keeps you clear from having a scanner "installed" in your car. Having a HAM license would make that a moot point. Given that it's a class 1 misdemeanor, it might be a good idea to be careful about it.

Have you actually found something interesting to listen to down there?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Woodscolby View Post
    Florida is digital and encrypted so you will not be able to pick anything up anyways. I think the entire state is that way. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    Edit: Looks like some of the locals still haven't switched over completely. All of the state organizations have already switched as well as most of the main cities though. I'd just use the scanner regardless of it being legal or not. Honestly, how is a cop going to see that you have a scanner?
    From looking at RadioReference it appears FHP and FWC are the only agencies on the state ProVoice system; and if you've got a P25 capable scanner you should be able to get plenty of County and local PD traffic in Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, Daytona and Tampa; not to mention all the FD traffic in the clear as well as the scanner enthusiast fun of hunting down a bunch of the active federal channels in the state.

I went by the AGs recommendation when I was in FL, and ended up not listening to too much while driving, more stationary at home or the beach and such and never had an issue, and now I've got my HAM ticket so the only real issue for me is NY.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    ... now I've got my HAM ticket so the only real issue for me is NY.
    I don't know why all states don't write a law that says if you are an FCC licensed ARO, that you can monitor police frequencies in your vehicle. If a cop really wanted to be an @$$, they could take ANY amateur equipment, because short of the older stuff, any modern VHF ham equipment will receive police frequencies. That makes it illegal in your vehicle...if a cop wanted to nit pick the law. Michigan State Police has done this a couple times to a couple hams. Of course, they got their equipment back in court, hence the laws exempting hams in a lot of states, but that's a lot of hassle, and money.

Radar Fanatic

The Michigan mobile/portable scanner ban has been repealed.

GTO_04

Experienced

When programming in the I-75/Turnpike corridor to Orlando, and I-75/I-10/I-95 to Daytona, I found that Baker Co. is on the SLERS (encrypted statewide system), and Duval Co. Sheriff, Flagler Co. Sheriff, and Orlando PD each have their own encrypted systems. Haven't travelled any further south since I got the scanner.

Newcomer

Also, If you have an iPhone, or any Android phone, you can download an app called "Scanner Radio" for free in the Market/App Store. I listen to it sometimes, i guess using this in your car with one headphone in would work..?

I dont know if they are behind or live or what not.