Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default A few newbie antenna questions

After reading all the posts in the CB/Scanner section (yeah, all of them), I'm still unclear on a couple of points.

1. If I have a scanner and a CB, can I use the same antenna? Even if it's possible, would this be bad? I see some posts that mention frying electronic things if you're trying to transmit on the CB while scanning? So, do I actually need two antennae to do this correctly and safely?

2. Is my AM/FM stock radio antenna any good for anything (other than AM/FM)? Can I do anything to improve my AM/FM reception? I see ads for these little tear-drop shaped globes that you put on the end of the antenna, but I'm skeptical with regards to their actual abilities.

3. If I get a long whip antenna (Wilson 5000, etc), will this also pick up the 150, 400, 800mhz, etc bands well?

4. Will an 800mhz antenna (e.g. the Seeker) also pick up the lower frequencies well enough for scanning purposes?

5. Can I use any of these antennae to improve my FM reception? I realize that this isn't strictly related to CBs and scanners, but I live in the middle of southern Utah. You can only pick up one easy listening station, a couple of country stations (shudder) and some right-wing talk radio that's so reactionary that it makes Rush and G. Gordon Liddy look like Ted Kennedy. I may go with XM or Sirius, but that's another antenna! :roll:

6. Finally, what about antennae and mounts built for high-speed travel? For example, what would you use if you were this guy in the Gumball3000 rally?

http://www.gumball144.com/04rallyprep1.html

Any thoughts from the CB gurus would be appreciated. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Advanced Member

1. No! You will blow your scanner, You need 2 antennas!

2. The Jeep I am currently driving has an am/fm Antenna as well as an extra FM antenna. The radio cable is notorious for frying on cherokees so before i replaced the stock antenna I put on an aftermarket FM on-glass antenna. Reception isn't changed since stock.....But when i use my FM transmitter on my scanner or iPod i get perfect reception

3. It will pick up 150 decently, 400 little worse, and even more worse

4. I use a Radio Shack 800mhz when I am listening to my college security which use 400mhz, and reception is decent

5. CB antenna's are made for low frequnecies, not FM frequencies eventhought it will pick them up

6. the CB mount used by Alex Roy is a good one for high speed he has gone over 180mph and still has his antennas, but I have taken my volvo up to some interesting speed no antenna's have moved
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Possibly the next antenna on my list is this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Sky-Scan-MK2-25M...QQcmdZViewItem Judging by how it's made it should be the best all band mobile antenna

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

hey crazyVOLVOrob, you mind saying how fast you've been without your wilson 500 fallin off? Has it ever fallin off or moved from original spot by going too fast. I'm kinda worried about that when I get my wilson 500 antenna. I drive pretty fast, and on the interstate where I drive the fastest is where I'd need the antenna on the most. Also does your antenna shake or wiggle while ur car is in motion? Thank you for answering my questions!! (if you do, which I hope u do)

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by NRTrackChamp2004
    hey crazyVOLVOrob, you mind saying how fast you've been without your wilson 500 fallin off? Has it ever fallin off or moved from original spot by going too fast. I'm kinda worried about that when I get my wilson 500 antenna. I drive pretty fast, and on the interstate where I drive the fastest is where I'd need the antenna on the most. Also does your antenna shake or wiggle while ur car is in motion? Thank you for answering my questions!! (if you do, which I hope u do)
    In my case, so an Wilson5000, base antenna and the whip about 68 inch high, the magnet hasn't moved 1 inch for about 3 weeks now, and I always do an average of 80 mph on the open road... very, very strong antenna, very clear signal for at least a 20-mile range...
    Of course the whip moves a lot, but what you have to be worried about is the magnet, how strong the magnet is, mine is very heavy, very solid, that's what you need at high speeds... I'm very happy with my investment so far :wink:

Advanced Member

Well I might of went up to the governer on my volvo at 135 and my wilson didn't move nor did my scanner antenna with a small 1" magnet. These magnets are strong

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Well I might of went up to the governer on my volvo at 135 and my wilson didn't move nor did my scanner antenna with a small 1" magnet. These magnets are strong
    What 135 :shock: mph or km/h :roll:

100 mph=164 kph

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Road Warrior

100 mph=164 kph
    mph I live in the states

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

100 mph=164 kph
    mph I live in the states
    Of course I know US=mph... but WHERE did you do 135 mph, Daytona Speedway International maybe

In real life, real roads, no RD will save you for going straight to JAIL...

Advanced Member

100 mph=164 kph
    mph I live in the states
    Of course I know US=mph... but WHERE did you do 135 mph, Daytona Speedway International maybe

In real life, real roads, no RD will save you for going straight to JAIL...
    This is exactly why i didn't want to disclose the speed i went on an NY interstate, and it wasn't a continuous 135mph the highest speed i went continuously was 1mile of 110 and 10 miles of 95mph-100mph.....I know the risk I am taking, I know it's stupid, but it happen. I do not want to self incriminate myself anymore!!! So stop asking. It's bad enough that i have pictures of my car on this forum! I spend good money on stealthing out my car and I plan on putting it through it's paces. As I said I am stupid. I am quite a mellow character but i live my life be a motto not many people would dare to do!
    "Some may never live, but the crazy never die!" (Hunter S Thompson). I will not speal of this any more it was an extremely stupid thing to do but I am a kid, kids do very stupid things. I never said it was safe. I will not go into any more details.

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

man we have testted the wilson 5000 at 160 mph and the sucker does not move at all you should see the wip though its bent all they way down almost but not touching at all. anyway with any wilson 1000 or 5000 or maybe the 500 mag mount you should be ok maybe. cause i know the little wil might break off at very high speeds and it sucks bad when it happens at speeds over 100mph not that u will drive at these speeds all the time tho :wink: