Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Placing the antenna

I've been having reception issues with my antenna. It seems I cannot hear even a mile away. When I talked with the guy at a nearby CB shop, he said the antenna coil is being blocked from the rear defrost and third brake light. I find it rather odd Wilson would make a product if it is going to be hindered by such things. Can anyone else confirm this?

Professional

Default Re: Placing the antenna

Even Wilson cannot get away from the laws of physics. Surround your antenna with metal of some sort and you WILL block signal from getting to it. However, I call BS on the rear defroster being the cause of your reception issues. Noise, yes, but causing you not to receive, no. I would be more inclined to believe you have other issues such as a break in your coax somewhere or water getting into the magnet base. Tis that time of year for rain, snow, sleet...that can cause issues if it gets inside the magnet base where the coax connects to the coil.

Sure, you will get best performance with an antenna on the highest point of your vehicle, but if you are correct and you are only getting a mile range, you should get a little more than that... 2-5 is the norm depending on conditions for 4W on 27MHz AM. However as of late, band conditions suck on 10/11m for local communication. It's been great for DX on 10 meters.
    Last edited by Arvetus; 11-16-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Newcomer

Test your antenna with a SWR meter.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Arvetus View Post
    Even Wilson cannot get away from the laws of physics. Surround your antenna with metal of some sort and you WILL block signal from getting to it. However, I call BS on the rear defroster being the cause of your reception issues. Noise, yes, but causing you not to receive, no. I would be more inclined to believe you have other issues such as a break in your coax somewhere or water getting into the magnet base. Tis that time of year for rain, snow, sleet...that can cause issues if it gets inside the magnet base where the coax connects to the coil.

Sure, you will get best performance with an antenna on the highest point of your vehicle, but if you are correct and you are only getting a mile range, you should get a little more than that... 2-5 is the norm depending on conditions for 4W on 27MHz AM. However as of late, band conditions suck on 10/11m for local communication. It's been great for DX on 10 meters.
    X2

Professional

try another antenna and see if the problem persists. Doubt that the third brake light and defrost would be significant at all. Did your antenna work well in the past or has it never worked well?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
    Did your antenna work well in the past or has it never worked well?
    I was wondering the same thing? Can really help your troubleshooting start w/the most simple possible culprit and work your way to the hardest.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
    try another antenna and see if the problem persists. Doubt that the third brake light and defrost would be significant at all. Did your antenna work well in the past or has it never worked well?
    I'm not sure. I never tested it when I had the 5000 installed. When I had my lil Wil, I was getting 8-10 miles. I'm thinking of getting a new 5000 (305-550), so the coil is 10" above my trunk. That should improve my performance greatly. I'd have to do more research on a new mount though.

Power User

So I ordered the 305-550 5000. Now, what mount do I get do I get to drill into the trunk?

Experienced

In response to your PM: The only Wilsons I've personally seen were all mag mounts, and all my gear is NMO. Their website doesn't give me an exceptionally clear idea of how this antenna is mounted or where the cable goes, only that it:

...mounts into a standard 3/8" X 24 threaded mount. Due to the increased torque applied to the mount with the Trucker 5000, it is recommended that only a stainless steel stud mount be used...
    Which I ASSume would be the "Heavy Duty Stud" mount (305-610), rather than the plastic or aluminum mounts. But that thing looks awfully narrow to handle the leverage of such a substantial antenna.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    So I ordered the 305-550 5000. Now, what mount do I get do I get to drill into the trunk?
    Might want to wait for confirmation but from what I've read on here over the years the Wilson Mount is the same size hole as an NMO mount; so you'll need an "antenna hole saw", and you can get them readily for about $50, a little less if you can hunt around.