Thread: Little help

Speed Demon

Default Little help

I've just started to get into CB's. I have one now that was given to my dad a long time ago but he can not remember what kind it is. When I plug the CB into the Cig. lighter it starts up but when I go to test it out it shows that no power is being sent out. What's wrong?

I was thinking about buying this CB on the link below:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Don't know how well it works or anything.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Little help

Quote Originally Posted by Radar 4 Ever
    I've just started to get into CB's. I have one now that was given to my dad a long time ago but he can not remember what kind it is. When I plug the CB into the Cig. lighter it starts up but when I go to test it out it shows that no power is being sent out. What's wrong?

With the one your dad got, only a technician would be able to tell what's wrong with it... but that costs money...
    There are tons of CBs on the market today, I bet the one you reffered to is a good one BUT it's not new, are you aware of that, aren't you :?: Also it's NOT just the CB that does all the "tricks", you gotta have a very good, powerful antenna, to be able to get a long range for a very clear signal... with my system I get up to 20 miles of very, very, very CLEAR signal... best of luck :wink:

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Road Warrior

With the one your dad got, only a technician would be able to tell what's wrong with it... but that costs money...
    There are tons of CBs on the market today, I bet the one you reffered to is a good one BUT it's not new, are you aware of that, aren't you :?: Also it's NOT just the CB that does all the "tricks", you gotta have a very good, powerful antenna, to be able to get a long range for a very clear signal... with my system I get up to 20 miles of very, very, very CLEAR signal... best of luck :wink:
    How much is a really good and powerful antenna? or does it depend on which CB you have?

I don't think i'm even going to bother with my other CB but I was just thinking about buying the one in the link that I showed you before for $40.

Radar Fanatic

How much is a really good and powerful antenna? or does it depend on which CB you have?

I don't think i'm even going to bother with my other CB but I was just thinking about buying the one in the link that I showed you before for $40.
    Any CB would do the job, but the best is to buy a brand-new one so you get a 1-year warranty...
    Antenna is the one that gives you the range of clear signal, and also there are lots of antennas out there, each one doing its own job, bad, not so bad, good or very good... mine is a Wilson5000, magnet mount, but this one is the most expensive magmount antenna... so all comes down to what YOU really need, you want the longest possible range of very clear signal you should get an Wilson5000 antenna, as I said, mine gives me a 20-mile very clear signal, no static at all...

Advanced Member

good antennas Wilson 500, 1000, and 5000 are all $60+

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Newcomer

Default CB problem

"When I plug the CB into the Cig. lighter it starts up but when I go to test it out it shows that no power is being sent out. What's wrong?"

This is probably one of just a few things. First, if the CB has a CB/PA switch, make sure it's in CB mode. Most CBs have a transmit indicator light and a power output/signal meter. When you key the mike is the radio showing it's trying to transmit (transmit indicator lights) but you see no output on the meter? Or is it just completely void of any signs that it's trying? If the radio is still receiving stuff when you key the mic then you probably have a microphone issue. Is it the proper one for that particular model of CB? Just a few questions to troubleshoot the problem.