Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Cobra 29 ltd and wilson 1000

I drive 150 miles every day on a scenic highway that has a large mill just off of it so the Cb is used alot.My current setup is just a pain and i was looking at purchasing this combo.The online shop(Gi Joes cb radio shop) offers these three options

Align Radio For Best Performance (recommended) :
    Modulation Upgrade 1-2w Key w/Align(Makes It Loud) $40.00
    Align for Maximum Performance Tx & Rx $30.00
    Align Tx & Rx with 1-2w key. (not for most users) $30.00
    Can anyone offer advice on which ,if any ,i should purchase? i have 220$ to spend on the Cb ,wilson antenna , and shipping. Should i pay 10$ for talkback also. The Echo boards i think would be pushing the price limit so i wont go there.thanks

Experienced

Default Re: Cobra 29 ltd and wilson 1000

I don't know how they are built now but the Cobra 148 used to be a very good radio. A 148 and a $20 1/4 wave whip should outperform just about anything else out there without exceeding legal power levels. I wouldn't pay 30 bucks for any kind of alignment on a brand new radio, that's just insane. If it isn't working well send the radio back.

Yoda of Radar

^^^
    I LUL3D!

"Align" a radio is CB for >>> Peak and Tune... basically it is slang for: We are making this radio illegal without saying it so everything stays kosher with the Feds... because they really don't care about 15-20watt radio...

Then again a 'legit' site shouldn't shove it in their face too much they are going well beyond 3watts without proving the purchaser had a license for the said radio. Thus: 'align' rather than 'peak and tune' is used... almost interchangeable they are though.

Speed Demon

That will be a good solid setup that will give you years of good service.

Power User

+1 I ran a Cobra 29 LTD w/a Wilson 5000 Trucker for years w/no problems, it's a solid CB for me. I would recommend talk back for the CB. I would not recommend ECHO IMO, it's just not my cup of tea.

Newcomer

Thanks for the replys.I ended up purchasing a uniden 78 elite and a 1000 wilson from sparkys online.I first decided i might as well get a nightwatch model.Then i read that the cobras only have 1 led lighting them and unidens have several encase one burns out it still is lit? I also thought i cant support cobra making anymore crap radars haha.The only thing i'm disappointed about with my purchase is no talk back.the one shop i was going to go with added it for 10.00$.Sparkys had good reviews and i still have a couple hand-held midlands i figured i could have a friend see how i sound with one of those.I have yet to receive it yet but i cant wait! I haven't even been using my hand-held with the mobile adapter for the past 2 weeks and i miss the heads up.

Power User

I bought my Radio from there. That model of radio does well peaked and tuned. I would pass on the echo, annoying to other drivers. That set up would talk and receive very well. There prices are some of the best I found on the web.

Newcomer

do you know about the mag mount grounding itself when attached to the roof? or do u need to run a ground wire

Experienced

Whether they call it an alignment or peak and tune is just mincing words. Either way it is a waste of money. The finals in a CB just aren't designed to get very much more power out than how they come from the factory. Yes, it is illegal to modify CB's but the question is whether modifying them gives a significant increase in performance. And that answer is no, not really. Not enough that I would pay any "golden screwdriver" any amount of money to screw up a perfectly good radio.

If you want to increase performance then you should use SSB instead of AM. You will notice a significant increase in range just by using SSB rather than AM.

Power User